Help Newbie with XP Kubuntu GRUB Acronis OS Selector Dual Boot Problems Please

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Major_Disaster, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major_Disaster

Major_Disaster Registered Member

Hello Guys,

Im new to Linux and quite new to Acronis so bear with me please.

First of all some background.
    I have a Dell Dimension 9150 with 2x250GB Harddrives in RAID 1 Mirror. I partitioned them as follows..

* 1st Partition FAT 16 (62 MB) Dell Utility Partition.
    * 2nd Partition 50GB NTFS C Drive (Windows XP Media Centre Edition + Programmes)
    * 3rd Partition 50GB NTFS F Drive (Documents)
    * 4th Partition 100GB Acronis Secure Zone (Document backups - image of F drive) - Hidden from OS.
    * 5th Partition 30GB G Drive (Empty partition).
    * 6th Partition 4.6GB FAT 32 Drive (DSR - The image file and things).

I did the partitoning using Acronis Disk Director and backup my images of F drive using Acronis True Image. Acronis Disk Director includes a programme called Acronis OS Selector (a bootloader maybe? That allows you to have multiple OSes and choose what to boot). At boot time i have the option to access (via ESC) OS Selector and from there Disk Director and True Image.

In the 30GB free space i decided to install Kubuntu 6.06.

I did so and when it said "installation finised blah blah blah need to reboot..." i did so.

When i reeboted problems began.

It went through the boot process and came to the press ESC to acess Acronis, then a GRUB message loaded saying something like "GRUB Loading Stage 1.5". It just hung there. I rebooted and tried again but same problem. I used my handy Windows Boot Floppy to get back to windows and saw that everything seemed to install OK (i could see the created partition in Disk Director).

But still when i reebot i cant get into Kubuntu.

I have tried disabling OS Selector (in which case it boots staight to XP).
    I have tried accessing OS Selector from boot, then telling it to boot Linux but then it just freezes on a black screen with GRUB on it.

Im sure the problem is something to do with all these options at boot but im not sure what to do.

Basically what i want is to just have Acronis OS Selector load at boot (as it does) where i can choose from there to boot XP or Kubuntu.

One last thing i have noticed, each time (i think at least) it goes to the black screen with just GRUB on it, another Linux entry is added to the OS selector screen.

See screenshot http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/giveitawaynow16/OSSelectorSS.gif

Also after this i plan on reinstalling XP will this make any difference or affect any solutions that we find to my original problem?

Sorry for the huge long boring post, but i would really appreciate it if some one could help please.

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Major_Disaster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please do the following in order to re-activate GRUB:

- Start the computer from the Kubuntu installation CD;

- Enter rescue mode;

- Issue the following commands:

mkdir /mnt/tmp
    mount /dev/hdXY /mnt/tmp (/dev/hdXY is the root partition)
    chroot /mnt/tmp
    /sbin/grub-install /device_name (/device_name is hd: hda, hdal, hda2, sdal, sda2 and etc)

In order to get more information about it please contact the vendor of your Kubuntu.

If this does not help then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report.txt file to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Major_Disaster

Major_Disaster Registered Member

Hey thanks for the reply!

You say this will reactivate GRUB. Do i want to? What will this do? Should i unactivate OS Selector?

I may know next to nothing about linux but is this right

"and etc"

Also, how do you enter "rescue mode"?

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.