help needed: TI11 was working until I tried evaluation copy of TI 2009

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RichardMW2, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardMW2

RichardMW2 Registered Member

I had been using TI11 successfully for a long time.
    I ran into the problem that the boot TI 11 boot cd does not see sata drives.
    I installed TI2009 evaluation to see if it fixed the boot drive issue.

Big problems when I went to remove TI2009 and re-install TI 11.
    Windows Vista was seriously corrupted. It took several hours to discover that all the Vista start up services were disabled.

Vista is working now, but when I tried to re-install TI 11, it does not work.
    I start TI 11 and get a message:

"unable to open (initialize) computer".
    "unable to initialize snapshot manager library"
    "version conflict, modules have incompatible versions".

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Now, if you had just made a TI 11 full backup before installing TI 2009, you could use the TI 2009 Rescue CD to restore that image, and you'd be in fat city back where you started but with the 2009 Rescue CD in hand.

I always tell people to make a backup before installing any software of hardware. It helps so much.

In your case, if restoring an earlier backup isn't acceptable, consider making a backup now, restore the older backup and recover your current data from the "now" backup.

If that isn't acceptable, there is a TI utility to clean out TI to allow installing earlier versions. Perhaps someone can provide a link to where it's located on the Acronis web site.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Updated Cleanup utility V10, v11, v2009, vDD10 Feb 2009
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/kb/articles/958/

Some user of this utility have found it worked well. Other users have reported having problems.

As suggested above, a backup of your system is recommended before attempting using this utility.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  4. RichardMW2

GroverH,
    Thank you very much.
    The Acronis clean up utility solved the problem.
    I managed to reinstall TI 11 and am backing up to a network drive now.

Yes, I agree that a backup is recommended.
    But, remember, I said that I couldn't run Acronis under Vista to do a restore and that the Acronis boot CDs couldn't see my sata drives. That means that I could not do a restore with Acronis even if I had an Acronis backup.

My next project is to built a BartPE / Acronis CD so that I can do a network restore to a sata drive.

I think that Acronis really needs to fix their boot cd so that it is possible to do a restore to a sata drive. This is a crazy problem that should be simple. And no, I don't think that creating a BartPE CD is simple. Especially if you are running Vista since a BartPE CD is based on XP and uses XP drivers. Maybe I will try a WinPE instead but that seems harder to do than a BartPE.

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I also found the same thing - that making a WinPE cd is harder than the BartPE one. In fact I never got the WinPE one made. But it wasn't a problem as I have the Bart one. Try these instructions posted by another user for making the Bart one:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=839781&postcount=1

BTW, if your Vista system is 64 bit, the Bart one will not work. I saw this happen to someone a few days ago. But the Rescue cd of the 2009 version of TI (non-bart) will work with a 64 bit system and with sata drives too.

6. RichardMW2

My Vista sp1 system turned out to be unstable after installing Acronis TI 11 again.

I kept getting blue screens when rebooting.

I finally fixed this by going back to an earlier system restore.
    Vista was stable.

I got stupid.
    I had run the Acronis cleaner and thought that I would be able to re-instale TI 11.8101.

Wrong.
    I got a blue screen during the install process that complained about snapman.sys.

Reboot normal. Blue screen.
    Reboot into safe mode. Blue screen. Snapman.
    Finally, I went to the Vista install dvd and was able to do a system restore that I had made just before this foolish attempt.

I know Acronis 11 was running OK under Vista sp1. It must be the Acronis install routine that is faulty. It was supposed to be ok for Vista. Maybe sp1 broke it and Acronis did not bother to fix it.

I will, reluctantly, try Acronis TI 2009 evaluation. If that works, I will buy the upgrade

Very frustrating.
    I suspect that I will have to build a BartPE disk or a VistaPE disk so that I can do an emergency restore if a drive fails.

7. jmk94903

When you installed TI 2009 previously, did you make the Rescue CD?

If so, try booting with that. If it works, you know that it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Of course, if the TI 2009 Rescue CD works, it will also restore TI 11 backups. Perhaps you have one that you'd like to restore before all the TI 2009 Trial problems.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

9. RichardMW2

I tried the ti 2009 rescue cd. It did not find the sata drives but I had installed ti 2009 over TI 11. Not a clean install. But, it did install with no blue screens. The blue screens started after the uninstall of TI 2009.

Of course, I have a brand new, high end, system board: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R.

10. RichardMW2

I went to newegg a few days ago and saw the rebate and discount.
    It was not there today. Apparently expired.

11. jmk94903

OK, since the TI 2009 Rescue CD can't see your SATA drives, you would have to make a VistaPE boot disk and add the necessary drivers before you could restore any backup. After purchasing TI 2009, Acronis tech support might be able to provide a custom boot disk that would see your drives.

Actually, it's worth contacting tech support and asking for a custom boot disk for TI 11. The Chat service it the fastest way to do that.

12. RichardMW2

Success.
    I ran the Acronis cleanup tool.
    I installed Acronis TI 2009 trial. No blue screens. The install did hang until I killed a few background processes. But it works. TI 11 install immediately generated blue screens.

I did an incremental backup to a network drive. It worked.

I created a rescue CD.
    Amazing. The rescue CD saw both my local sata drives and my network drive.
    When I tried this a few days ago, the rescue CD did not find my sata drives.

I think that the difference was running the Acronis cleanup tool before doing the 2009 install. There must have been some stuff left over from the TI 11 install that screwed up the way TI 2009 created a rescue CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.