Help needed Restoring Acronis

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JXBlack, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JXBlack

JXBlack Registered Member

I had a bad hard Drive on my Compaq Presario replaced and I had previously backed up the original installation with Acronis 10. I am running WinXP.

I orginally set up the following partitions.
    C\: 20 GB
    D\: 20 GB
    E\: DVD Drive
    F\: 80 BG
    I am having trouble with the restoration and so I am noting below the screens I am getting and the selections I made.

Restoration Type_______________Disks
    Partition or Disk to Restore___________MBR and Track 0
    Disk Selection---------------------Disk 1
    Next Selection--------------------Another Partition
    Partition or Disk to Restore------------NTFS (C:)
    Restored Partitions Resizing--------------no
    Restored Partition Type_____________

Here I have a problem. I am offered 3 choices:
    Active
    Primary
    Logical

I Have tried all 3 choices but in each case I am told that the partition cannot be changed that choice.

I can't get past this screen.

Please help.

Thanks

2. como

como Registered Member

In suggest you search for any post by GroverH and download and read his very good guides.

I have not had to restore a multi partitioned disk but I suggest that you boot from the rescue disk and select C:\ to be restored first, this partition should be made active, select the option to restore another partition and this time select MBR and track 0 followed by the other partitions. In my experience TI selects Active, Primary or Logical as the correct default for each type of partition.

I am sure that if I am not correct in this procedure someone else will post a correction.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

It would appear that you are trying to do a partition restore.
    Your first selection on "Partition or disk to restore" should be the C drive. If it is the only partition being restore and if it going back to its original position, it is not necessary to restore the "Track 0 & MBR".

Your first post above does not truly indicate how many actual disks are installed and how many partitions are on the system disk. Is your C & D drive on the same disk? The XP Disk Management screen can help to clarify the structure of your disks.

Likewise, the post does not indicate whether the backup being used for the restore is a disk or partition backup.

4. JXBlack

JXBlack Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.

My Compaq is a laptop and has only one Hard Drive. It was originally broken into 3 partitions. C and D were 20 Gb ach and E was 80 Gb. The E drive is the DVD Drive.
    When the original backup was made the only partition with anything on it was C:\. It had WinXP and some drivers and a few programs.

I am afraid to admit that everytime I have tried to restore using Acronis I have run into a different problem.

1st I successfully restored C:\, but only C:\ was visible so I reformated and got the other 2 partitions. After that all I got was NTLDR was missing.

2nd I ticked both the MBR and C:\ and saw all my original partitions appear but when I got up to "Restored Partitions Type" it wouldn't let me pick any of the three offered.

#3rd I have 1 boot disk and 6 data disks (all are Cd-r).Last nite I kept getting a warning to install Volumne 1 and when I put in Disk 1 it kept repeating this warning.

I have gone to your home page and tried to get the link to the "Restoring Guide" but it appears dead.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

5. GroverH

Links in my signature below are active.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Before you go much further, I'd strongly suggest that you boot from the TI Recovery CD and verify your backup image.

If you have problems with the validation, then you will have problems with the restore. If it verifies in a reasonable amount of time, no more than twice the time to make the backup, you should be in good shape for a successful restore.

Let us know how this works out.

7. GroverH

I hope John is correct (post #6). In post #4, it sounds like the other partitions got messed up. As a result of my assumption that this occurred, here may be one way of getting you back to normal.

1. Copy any of your TrueImage backups from your laptop hard drive to an external drive to get them off your single disk.

2. If your backups reside on DVD's, I would copy them to an external drive and validate them when booted from the TI Rescue CD.

2. Use (get?) your Compac recovery CD and put the system back to factory fresh which would destroy any current partitions or data. Anything which you do not have in your backup files will be lost unless you get it "backed up" or copied to an external drive or DVD. After back to factory fresh condition, open the XP Disk Management and examine the arrangement of your partitions. Drive C may be partition 1 or 2. Drive D may be a diagnostic/utility partition, etc. Name your drives into something meaningful so you can recognize them by their names--not their drive letter. When booting from the Rescue CD, True Image provides different drive letters than used by Windows. Make sure of your drive/partition selection.

3. Then, boot from the TI Rescue CD. Restore your most recent copy of the system (drive C). Do not restore the Track 0/MBR. It should not be needed. Your current backups should match your system as it was when the backups were created. Do NOT perform a disk restore as I do not believe you have a full disk archive containing all partitions within your backup.

If you have a TrueImage backup of Drive F, that can also be restored. Do not restore Track 0 & MBR.

Your DVD device is not part of your partitions.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JXBlack,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please make sure the image validates successfully?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.