Help - need a solution

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Peaches4U, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

I like Webshots and recently when attempting to download a picture, I get the message that the "wbz" file is not found, sooooo, I did this ......
    1. I right clicked on Start and then left clicked on Explore.
    2. Clicked on Tools/Folder Options
    3. Clicked on File Types
    4. Clicked on New
    5. I typed in the file extension wbz and then clicked ok.
    6. Then Find new file type - found wbz in the list and highighted it.
    7. Clicked on Advanced.
    8. Clicked on New
    9. Under Action, typed in "open".
    10. Clicked on Browse
    11. Went to C: Program Files/Webshots
    12. I highlited the launcher.exe file cuz the swelexe.exe file was not there.
    13. I clicked OK
    14. I unchecked the box next to the words "confirm open after download".
    15. Clicked ok.

Now I went to download a photo and nada - same message appears. Wha happened - where did I go wrong? :'( o_O :'(

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey Peaches,
    When you set the file association for .wbz to "open" and clicked the "launcher.exe", this is telling windows that anytime you see a file with the extension .wbz, that needs to open launcher.exe

I don't use webshots so I don't know the program very well, but is launcher.exe the executable that you use to run webshots? Also, what is "Swelexe.exe" program?

3. Peaches4U

I believe launcher.exe is the executable that runs webshots. Webshots extension is "wbz" and everything worked fine until several days ago. I have a sneaky suspicion when the kids were messing around on my computer they changed something & ain't talkin :blink: . My computer is free of any infections and otherwise running nicely. I use FireFox most of the time but Webshots requires IE.

The procedure I followed is the correct one but for some reason th change will not materialize so I must be doing something or missing something and can't see the forest for the trees!! :(

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi Peaches,
    I've used Webshots for ages, but I rarely if ever DL their photos. I just use existing photos on my machine as WPapers.
    I've just looked through my program file folder and cache and done a search using Locate32.....and I do not have any files with a .wbz extension.....neither do I have a swelexe.exe file.
    When I found the cache and looked through the albums I had, they appeared to all be Jpegs and such....
    Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

5. Peaches4U

Hi BB - I decided to do a Panda online scan of my computer and it picked up two pieces of spyware - one in Windows System32 and the other is a malicious software in my registry. No name of what it is... :mad: so have no idea what to look for. I did notice that my computer, especially the mouse, was acting a bit strange but then things would go along smoothly and I thought little more about it. Panda does not fix spyware and since some spyware can be associated with trojans, I am currently doing a trojan scan as I type this. Did an Ad-Aware as well as Spybot scan and they came up clean. Methinks me darlin kids downloaded something when my attention was elsewhere as I know for a fact I have not recently downloaded any programs and I rarely have spyware which only sometimes happens when the kids use the computer.

Regarding Webshots, the instructions how to add the "wbz" is from their website. I did the procedure several times and nada. :mad:

I think I have found myself in a pickle ... :'(

6. Peaches4U

Helloooooooo!!! Anybody out there.. o_O Okay then I will have to solve it all by myself and then tell you all about it. :D

a] I am of the opinion that since Webshots can only be used with IE, that there is a problem with IE. All my patches are installed so do I have to reinstal IE or what suggestions does anyone have? o_O

b] I started a search of computer infections and came up with a couple of dosiers .... SpyBot & Ad-Aware didn't catch it but Housecall & Trojan Hunter did and had to use A2-Squared to clean it up. What malicious stuff did I find .....

* aupdate.exe in Windows System 32.
    * C:\program files\common files\Logitech\WebColct\WebColps.dll - Adware. Altnet.b
    * C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\6.14.36-8776480 - Adware BackWeb Lite

This Malware is in the Trojan class and that does not make me happy if it was included by Logitech with their product. Apparently it has been in my computer since 2003 when I purchased my new Logitech Keyboard and Optical Mouse. I have previously discussed the issue of spyware with Logitech but they vehmently denied that they included spyware in/with their products. Ya sure, does the pope have a nose!! :rolleyes:

How's that for detective work? Now to solve the "wbz" thingie as until recently, I had no problems downloading photos from Webshots so something went wrong somewhere. I tried re-installing Webshots but it made no difference which is why I suspect IE has something to do with the problem. :mad:

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. ice60

ice60 Guest

9. Peaches4U

Nope - I am a freebie member so stuck with FAQ. :( The instructions I got were from the Webshots site but for some reason the procedure will not work. I have a webpage at Webshots and wish to put my pictures of Australia and New Zealand there so I can download them as my wallpapers and of course, can direct the Wilders gang there for viewing and downloading if they find something they like. All virus & malware free, naturally!! So I have to get this fixed "toot-sweet". :doubt:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Uninstall Webshots, delete the folder from program files and reinstall. See if that works.
    You might want to run scandisk to check for any possible errors. Won't hurt. :D

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Peaches, did you have a look at Flickr? i'm willing to bet it's better then webshots. there has been some unhappy Flickr customers recently because Yahoo bought it afew months ago and made everyone change their passwords to their Yahoo ones. so, if you have a Yahoo account, you will already "be a member" without having to sign up.

you can highlight parts of your pictures with Flickr as in this picture, hover your mouse over the picture. (notice the Flickr upload button on the desktop :eek:). i'm sure there's many more good features i don't know about :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capnsponge/7076827/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.