Help! My PC won't boot!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ZeldaManiac44, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeldaManiac44

ZeldaManiac44 Registered Member

I turned on my PC this morning, and after the screen with the Dell logo and the white bar filling up I get thr following MS-DOS screen:

That screen only lasts for a second or two, then this one loads:

The third and final screen loads after that:

I tried the reset button on the machine several times to no avail. I should also mention the USB keyboard worked at the Dell logo screen to enter the setup utility, but not at the final screen I just quoted. For that, I had to plug in my regular keyboard.

Can someone please tell me what happened? I don't think I've done anything that might damage the PC, other than leaving it on all day yesterday , But in Power properties I have it set to turn off the monitor after 5 minutes and the hard drive after 15. So it wasn't really like it was on.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Re: Helpz! My PC won't boot!

did you check the cable like it said to? half the time that's the problem - cables, or a bad plug. i bought a new computer (which i was plaining to get anyway) because of a bad plug. or maybe it was a dodgy update ?? or something you did during the last time it was on.

3. ZeldaManiac44

It dosen't say which cable, so I checked them all and then reset the machine using the button. Still the same screens come up.

I can access the MBA configuration screen by hitting Ctrl+Alt+B at just the right moment too. Do you want me to post a transcript of that screen too?

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think it might be inside the case the hdd media, i'm not sure though??. so the cables from the motherboard to the hard drive. if ever i have to go in the case i leave the plug in the wall to keep it earthed and when it's open touch part of the metal casing, and hope i don't get a shock :p

EDIT and i turn the switch off at the wall so it's not live!!!!!!

posting the MBA configuration screen won't help me, but someone else might know something.

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

ZM~

When you press F1, does it bootup? I have had several Dell PCs and may be able to provide suggestions, but I need to know this info.

~pv

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well if nothing else works. Take out your HDD. Put in another computer as slave & copy all important data.

How about the Dell restore disc?

Btw I'd set the HDD to never turn off.

Good luck.

7. ZeldaManiac44

The screen is blue with white letters. I don't want to change any values before I consult an expert, because I might make it worse.

The PC was used, I bought it last week, but it was in perfect working order until this morning. Maybe my 4-year-old son accidentally deleted one of the important files in the C:\WINDOWS folder that the PC needs to boot.

8. ZeldaManiac44

It doesn't go back to the initial screen with the blue Dell logo and the white bar indicating it's loading, if that's what you're reffering to. What it does is reboot MBA, and the viscious cycle starts all over again with the first MS-DOS screen I quoted in the first post.
    I'm sorry, but I don't have another PC, I'm accessing the Internet from a Wi-Fi hotspot with my Pocket PC.

Wouldn't the HDD heat up too much if it isn't turned off though?

9. pvsurfer

When it tells you to hit F1 to boot, did you do that and if so, did it boot?

10. ZeldaManiac44

Hi pvsurfer, the answer to your question is in the post right above it, you didn't refresh the page after you read my penultimate post.

11. pvsurfer

ZM~ If you haven't done so already, I strongly suggest doing the following:

1. Unless you know for a fact that your CMOS (Lithium) battery is less than 4 years old, definitely buy a new one! Check your battery (it's a coin-style battery on your motherboard) and note the model # (last I looked, most coin-style Lithium batteries at RadioShack ran $ 3 - $5).

2. Before removing the battery, unplug the AC power-cord. This is not only a safety measure, it is necessary for the next step.

3. With the battery and AC-power removed, clear your NVRAM by depressing your power button and holding it in the depressed position for about 20 seconds.

4. Replace the battery (either the one you removed or preferably a new one) and re-connect the power-cord.

5. Booting up will now force the BIOS to re-detect all of your drives, and hopefully your Dell will now work properly. If the same problem persists, go to the Dell's Tech Support Download Site, enter your Tag #. and download the latest BIOS available for your model. Then flash your old BIOS to update it (this is generally a good idea even if the previous steps correct your problem)!

Good luck, pv

12. ZeldaManiac44

Sorry I haeven't posted an update of my situation in a while, but here it is.

I took the Dell PC back to the shop where I bought it, even though the machines are used they have a warranty, so they replaced it with a model just like it. So far it's been working fine, but like I explained in my opening post, the other one worked fine for 5 days then "crashed" for lack of a better term.

What actually happened according to a knowledgable friend who is a computer consultant, isn't that the HDD can't be recognized, but access to it is prevented -- by MBA (see my first post).

MBA is a security program business companies install to prevent data falling into the wrong hands, and was still on the machine, because it was donated to the non-profit org whare I bought it (they sell PCs cheaply to students, just to break even). Let's hope it isn't on this one too. Does anyone here know how I can confirm that? Remember that it's a BIOS intergrated program, and very sophisticated.

My friend said modifying the BIOS in any way should only be done by a Dell professional. But maybe she didn't know about the Dell.com downloads pvsurfer mentioned, where the progam does all the modification. I don't know if it would've uninstalled MBA though, or just upgrade the BIOS.

For now, I'm reluctant to turn off the PC, for fear restarting it will make MBA deny me access again.

13. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

One off-topic post removed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.