Help my daughter downloaded a big problem

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mhorn74, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhorn74

mhorn74 Registered Member

i have a new lap top and my daughter has been using it and she told me something kept popping up so i looked at it and it it something called system tool it keeps popping up and telling me i am infected and i can buy the system tool to get rid of the problem i have tried to go to uninstall it but it isnt there i also tried to put the computer back to another date before it was installed but i cant find it i am running vista windows 7 and i am not familiar with it can someone help me please
    michelle

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Meh, one of those bogus AVs... MBAM and SAS should wipe it.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Do try to download MBAM, you can get it from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php . It's pretty good at getting rid of stuff like that, and I agree, it sounds like one of the many fake anti-virus/malware apps that are rampant these days. Get back with us and let us know how it went and if you need any further help.

4. mhorn74

i cant download them they dont start automatically and i cant find them what now

5. doktornotor

I don't know what you mean by can't download and "don't start automatically", describe it more in detail.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Elaborate on not being able to download them, please? Is something blocking access to the website itself or the file? We need to figure that one out before we address the other two issues.

7. mhorn74

nothing is working every time i click the system tools thing comes up

8. mhorn74

well something does come up saying it is blocking it from dowmloading but i click allow then it looks like it is loading then nothing happens

9. doktornotor

Hmmm... that didn't explain much. Attach a screenshot perhaps, because I feel this won't get us very far otherwise and describe in detail what/where you click.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ahh, so this thing is blocking you from downloading anything. You may have run across one of those nasties that detects when you're trying to download/run security software. It could be trying to defend itself. I'm out of my expertise on this one unfortunately. The only thing I could say is a clean install of the OS, but of course that's a rather drastic measure.

Edit: I missed your last post. You're clicking "Allow"? Do you have a firewall or HIPs on the system?

11. mhorn74

ok this time instead of hitting run i hit save and saved it to my desktop i can find it now just trying to open it that system tools keeps stopping it

12. doktornotor

What is "system tools"... o_O

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So it is trying to defend itself then maybe. If its at all possible to screenshot any of this and try to upload it, it may help a lot.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Good point, what is the actual name of the program that pops up?

15. mhorn74

sorry it is called secrity tool i am just so frustrated and stupid question how so o do a screen shoot

16. mhorn74

it says this java.exe is in fected with worm Lsas.Blaster.Keyloger. it went away but it says that then it says it is trying to send credit card data and other personal stuff

17. doktornotor

Maybe someone who's more familiar with this computer stuff should help you instead?

1/ When the "system tools" thing pops up, press Print Screen key on your keyboard.
    2/ Press Win + R keys at the same time.
    3/ Into the prompt, type mspaint and press Enter.
    4/ When MS Paint starts, press CTRL+V at the same time.
    5/ Go to File - Save as... select JPEG or PNG from the drop-down menu, name the file screenshot or whatever, and save it to desktop.
    6/ Attach it here... (below the new post window, there's Manage Attachments button)

18. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

19. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

20. the mul

the mul Registered Member

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

22. mhorn74

i did that and the laptop just shut down thanks for all your help i think i am just gonna have to take it in if i had my snag it on the lap top it would be easy. it is just frustrating it comes up every 2 minutes a security tool wanting me to pay money to download security tool to get rid of all the viruses, no website attached to it just asks me to put in credit card number to download and get rid of all the viruses then it scans to show me all the viruses, does that help better i am a little less frustrated now

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

24. mhorn74

i am trying to reboot lap top now

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I know it's frustrating, trust me. Once this situation is settled perhaps you can visit with us and maybe let us know what your daughter was doing when this thing forced itself on you. We like to solve problems here AND prevent them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.