Help, my computer is on strike

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I introduced my friend at work to your forum. Here's the problem o_O
    anytime I try to open a window it acts like it is doing something but then nothing happens it just stays on the desktop. It only seems to be affecting windows, I can still play Diablo and other games as well as use word perfect, but i can't get on the internet or access the control panel, I tried to use the system restore function but it won't open, I can't even get the garbage can to open. I recently updated my computer and began using the windows firewall could this be the problem maybe. PLEASE HELP ME!

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

If the problem was just an issue with Internet access, I might suspect the firewall. Since launch of the Control Panel is also a problem, I personally suspect a browser issue.

I'd try a repair of IE - here's a typical scheme to follow, there are others. I'm assuming XP is the OS.

Blue

3. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

I would tend to lean more towards a virus and a combotation of spyware. Is your virus scanner up to date? If so, when was the last time you scanned your PC? I would reboot into safemode, do a virus scan, while in safemode I would also run Ad-Aware & Spybot, remove all that they find. Then reboot again into normal mode, and test the waters. See whats going on.

A simple check though, is if you get into safe mode, and you still can't open the control panel, then your OS is probably messed up a bit, and you may have to either do a repair install, or a total re-install.

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Does anything show up in the taskbar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.