Help. Mouse problems with newer kernels. Do I need a new mouse/ketboard ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Refers Kubuntu 12.04/12.10

I noticed that the entries in the menus of some apps can sometimes not be selected/highlighted - there is a hesitant flickering when passing over with the mouse, disabling effects does not help and also not a nvidia card issue as there are no problems with Scientific Linux.
    I also cannot use tty terminals (1>6) as my login is rejected (password invalid).
    Furthermore I also have this mouse problem with Live CD's using the newer kernels i.e. 3.2x and 3.5x.

I have now found that the problems are due to the mouse. I know this because everything is fine with an old Logitech mouse I had stored at the back of my cupboard.
    The question now is what to do ?
    The problematic mouse is part of a Microsoft Wirelesss Comfort Desktop 5000 ( i.e. mouse and keyboard). It works off usb (Microsoft 2.4 GHz Transceiver v.6.0).
    Some kernel update may have caused the problem, as it is a new thing and I don't experience the symptoms mentioned before in Scientific Linux 6.3
    Here is what nvidia settings says, Kubuntu and Sc. Linux ......

Code:
     [B]Kubuntu 12.04/12.10 >>[/B]

Section "InputDevice"
                # generated from default
                Identifier     "Mouse0"
                Driver         "mouse"
                Option         "Protocol" "auto"
                Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
                Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
                Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                # generated from default
                Identifier     "Keyboard0"
                Driver         "kbd"
            EndSection

[B]Scientific Linux 6.3 >>[/B]  No problems.

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
            	Identifier  "Mouse0"
            	Driver      "mouse"
            	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
            	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
            	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
            	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
            	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
            	Driver      "kbd"
            	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
            	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
            EndSection

Have tried changing a few lines in xorg.conf eg. replacing Option "device" "/dev/psaux" with "/dev/input/mice". No luck also with modprobe mousedev.

Do I need to buy a new mouse/keyboard ?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Ocky,

Have you tried Ubuntu Forums? They would probably have an inside edge on being able to answer this question IMHO.

-- Tom

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No answer from Kubuntu forums, so now copy pasted in Ubuntu forums.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Ocky did you try daily live cd/dvd/usb of kubuntu/ubuntu with 3.5 kernel see if its work there on live cd/dvd/usb

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I can't remember with the Kubuntu 12.10 live cd, so will check again, but the 8 year old Logitech mouse works fine, unfortunately I don't have the matching keyboard anymore so only the mouse will work.
    I noticed the same problem using a Linux Mint 13 Xfce live cd. In other words I have absolutely no idea what is going on.
    Tried also the nvidia 3.10 driver and unticked Sync to VBlank in the nvidia OpenGL section.
    No Luck, but that 3.10 driver makes for a blisteringly fast experience. :thumb:

I will try more stuff including a reinstall.

Thanks mack_guy.

PS. It is an intermittent problem, i.e. fine for a while and then resurfaces out of the blue.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, all live cd's with kernels 3.2.0-23 or higher display the same problem i.e. mouse flickering when hovering over certain menus making selection in some cases impossible.
    Most noticeable in Opera and Klipper.
    By now I have probably tried all I can think of, including setting nomodeset as an additional boot parameter and increasing the monitor refresh rate.
    Nothing doing. I am fast losing faith in all the 'Buntus. Thank the powers that be, my Scientific Linux install is fine and allows me to do my work without nasty mishaps.
    My only slim hope is that one or other kernel update will resolve the problem, otherwise Windows will find a home on my disk.
    My wife is smiling all the way as she has none of this nonsense on her 64 bit laptop running Xubuntu 12.04. Some people have all the luck it seems.
    BTW. The old Logitech mouse I thought was OK turned out not to be.
    <End of rant>

7. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

I would guess it's the driver for the mouse in spite of it working in Scientific Linux.

Driver problems are a huge plague for Linux, I feel your pain. Unless you want to compile your own driver (I have no idea how to do that), you could look at the GNU Linux list of hardware devices that are known to work in Linux. Sometimes it's just easier to start with hardware that works.

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw

8. mack_guy911

Ocky i suggest you to report a bug yes i sometimes too face strange stupid problem but 99% they solved on next kernel so keep your fingers cross and please report a bug

also did you try this site as well

http://askubuntu.com

http://askubuntu.com/questions/3022/weird-mouse-problem

also please check compiz as well

also did you check Accessibility options like dwell....etc turn off

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  9. mack_guy911

also how about running system testing form ubuntu live cd and checking

and sending bug report :rolleyes:

edit:also you can scan entire system and generate a report if its showing bugs you can send them to ubuntu for future fix.

Attached Files:

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

mack_guy, I will install Windows. :ouch:
    Thanks for your input. The checkbox-qt system testing seems pretty useless. Will try it in live cd. These are from Kubuntu 12.10, they say no nvidia driver loaded :D and silly remark concerning input/mouse not required. :D

kubuntu 12.11.png

kubuntunvidia.png

11. mack_guy911

ocky dont give up soon remember i have same with SL but i keep trying and you advice me

and now i am happy atleast i have stable system and thats Linux :D

and thats because i am used to it now same i never feel on windows yesterday i use windows 7 2nd time in my life and feel so alienated system, too hard and i dont blame it.

thats because i am not used to it i click few windows at same time and it hangs and i look for kill command :D

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Well, no more mouse problems, I switched to Xubuntu, the long term release, removed Kubuntu and now only boot 2 distros from my desktop.
    Tried Linux Mint Xfce but quickly removed it on seeing that some of the packages are from the pleistocene era even after updating/upgrading, eg. the flashplugin (mint flashplugin). Why they have that as the default instead of the canonical one I don't know. (One wonders what else is old as the hills).

Everything on Xubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) runs very nicely, but as with all fresh installs I have recently done, being Kubuntu 12.04 and 12.10, Mint Xfce 12.04 and now Xubuntu 12.04, I am unable to use the tty terminals due to 'invalid password' . Looks something like this:-

login _ ocky
    ^@password_ ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@login failed^@^@
    password_

I have never had this nonsense in the years I have been using Linux, and think that there is some rarity value here as nobody seems to have experienced this. :D

getty.png

I miss Kubuntu. :'(

13. mack_guy911

ocky i guess you should wait for kernel update atleast or use back kernel mode and see if its working or use other distro for a while i do that one linux is buggy i use another one when both get buggy i use Windows :D

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

All sorted, I purchased a new mouse and keyboard, very basic and the scroll wheel makes a noise like a winch, but it cost a ⅓ of my old setup.
    It was the only Logitech I could find which specifically mentions Linux kernel 2.6 and higher compatible.
    From the specs:
    Linux®
    Linux® kernel 2.6+
    Two available USB ports

http://www.incredible.co.za/ProductDescription.aspx?SKU=75177

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I normally always buy the elcheapoest that come around. Strangely, they are Microsoft brand, valued at 5 bucks for keyboard and 6 for mouse :) Work like a charm in any which OS.
    Mrk

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Gosh, that is really cheap, equates to about 6 packs of cigarettes (20's) here. Blessed are those who live in the USA. :)

17. mack_guy911

USB are cheap and best i have logitical mouse which almost work with all linux distro USB base and old ps2 machinal keyboard working great since my 1st pc which i guess 1992 only problem is keys are study feels like working on soft typewriter :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nwe7cW_og

My keyboard

http://www.flipkart.com/tvs-e-gold-...FTAG&ref=15c26752-2df9-4c2e-8208-1903fb87bfb0

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Perhaps they are, but since I don't live there, I would not know.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.