Help....More restore problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rarkay, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rarkay

rarkay Registered Member

Hi All,

I've been making backups for several months now for the usual reasons. Today I needed those backups because my laptop crashed.
    First I tried to restore my C partition from one of the full backups and that went OK. Then I went to restore the same drive ( C: ) with a more current backup of just files, no partition data. I chose to restore to the original path but the program creates a C: directory and put everything in there. After several tries of restoring to the right path I got a disk full error and the files were not written over but "renamed" as in xxx.yyy~dfkdfhjh. All the files had a .~ name. I've been at this all day and getting pretty burned out. Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

rarkay

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

What's the version and build number of True Image?
    Is this on an XP, 2k, or Vista system?
    Are the backups in a Secure Zone or on an external drive?
    Did you do the Restore using the Rescue CD or from within Windows?
    Is the laptop drive a new one? (Crash could mean many things).

3. rarkay

rarkay Registered Member

Hi Ralphie,

The backups were created running XP Pro with TI 9.1 build 3534. I run the backups from a TI boot CD so no files are locked, and are saved to an external USB drive.

The laptop is not new, about two years old. When I started to get constant volume is dirty on bootup I formatted the drive and did the restoring. That's when I noticed the great number of renamed files. ex .xxx~yyyzzz. last count was over 11K in number. When I try to delete them I get a message the file/directory is unreadable or corrupt. o_Oo_Oo_O

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Sounds like your drive needs some serious "houskeeping" programs to be run. Do you use any software to get rid of temporary files or any Registry cleaning software?
    I would start again and Restore a full backup, then cleanup your temporary files folder and your Registry.

I have seen others report that when they went to restore just files to their original locations the files were restored in the manner you described. I don't know the cause or the solution other than to manually move the files to the original locations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.