Help me to disable Email client Protection

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by wert, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wert

wert Registered Member

I don't need the Internet and Email protection then I'm trying to disable both.

When I disable internet and email protection, I have a permanent orange tray icon because the inactivation of Email Protection.
    Inactivation of internet protection is succesful however the Disable Protection Status Screen show me a warning about I don't have the email protection active.

The Setup Screen show me:

Network traffic filtering -> Not operative
    Email client protection -> Not active

How I can deactivate in a total way the Email protection so the green tray icon can appear?

I have unchecked all POP3 and Email options in the Advanced Configuration without success.

Is this a Bug?. Do you know some help or link to solve this?

thanks !!

NOD32 v4.0.474

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. wert

wert Registered Member

thanks. It seems it is different of the previous version, because with the older version I was able to keep the icon in green .

I understand the implications, however I don't need mail protection because my mail procedures are efficient to avoid annoyances. Also, I don't feel comfortable seeing a third program monitoring my email ports. I only want to see the antivirus working in the disk.

So I will keep the yellow icon, although I think it is not a proper design, because if there is another reason different of my desired configuration I will be not aware of that just by looking the tray icon. :(

thanks anyway,

4. siljaline

Not in any recent builds, that I am aware of.
    Disable email, if you must, but, system tray flags will continue and should.
    The POP port 110 is being monitored to benefit and protect you as any anti-virus program should.

5. wert

wert Registered Member

yes, I note this.

for sure but I don't need a daddy but a software. Users must have the freedom to choose until where such protection can arrive. Efforts to cover many potential threats always is good but also we must have an option to decide and assume our own level of risk. A software should work for us, not the inverse. Or at least it should allow this when we wish.

Why the flag don't become yellow in absence of deep heuristic when many times it becomes unavoidable to detect potential threats. However it becomes yellow for the email, even if one doesn't allow attachments, already he has an antivirus in the server or he is able to delete e-mails before donwload them.

Trying to force customers to accept the monitoring of their email ports sounds not good. I'm not the only one; there are quite complaints in internet about this.

Such slavery is not a good idea!!

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Just a note, after being on these for forums for several years, email monitoring was one of the most requested items for the newer versions of ESET anti-malware software. In fact, a lot of the features present in the current versions of the software were suggested by users.

Given the threat landscape these days, more, rather than less monitoring is a good thing for most users, in my opinion.

I'll add that my ISP also has email filtering for malware. Some malware still gets by at times.

7. siljaline

I happen to agree with Ron's comments wert
    Read the product guide, perhaps it will help you further understand it.

Manual here

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V. 4.2 shows the green icon even if the particular protection module is disabled via the main setup (F5).

9. siljaline

But, would one want email protection disabled ?

10. wert

wert Registered Member

thanks, that's good news. I will try 4.2v

I have uninstalled 4.0 to re-install the 3.2v in 3 stations because 3.2v doesn't show this annoying behaviour.

as I have told before, I don't doubt it. And surely any competent antivirus must have protection for that.

Well in my case I work in a little company and we buy 3 NOD32 licenses/year. Our staff don't use pop or smtp ports communications. They work in a website environment to process the e-mail communications. Therefore we don't need that feature neither we want open new ports in our PC or firewalls.

I understand NOD32 should come with this activation by default. But also we need some option to avoid false alerts according our network configuration.

Many final users are not software experts, and when they see yellow color they don't know exactly what happens. If you put a permanent yellow alert for some silly paternalism, then the rest of real alerts can become useless.

thx,

11. siljaline

There are several camps of thought regarding disabling email client protection.
    1 ) Is the folks that think that your AV will catch whatever slips past anyway. This is not a small group of people but they could probably afford or know how to run a manual disinfection if they get infected with email off.
    2 ) Are folks that disable email scanning since their email client accounts are not correctly configured and time-out. This can be adjusted.

Email funtionality solutions checklist.
    How to disable email scanning.

How to exclude certain types of files or folders. from real-time scanning.

12. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

siljaline - Your missing the 3rd group of people. Those who do not use an e-mail client whatsoever, they will never use Exchange, pop, or imap etc. All e-mail is done through a browser (hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc...). Having e-mail integration is pointless for them at this point.

However, I highly doubt that disabling the e-mail module in ESET is really going to help anything at all or give some sort of noticeable performance increase. Even if exchange/pop/imap is not being used, just leave the e-mail module running, it's not going to hurt anything.

13. siljaline

I fail to see where Web based email comes into play here. Point noted.

Yes, having email client protection enabled on an AV that has such a small footprint to begin has no measurable impact on overall system performance, therefore why bother at all.

Personally, I always leave mine on.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  14. guiambros

guiambros Registered Member

Marcos: thanks a lot! I was having the same problem as wert, and really happy that the new 4.2 beta is fixing the yellow-icon annoyance.

I also prefer to leave the email scanning disabled but changing the icon to yellow was misleading, making the whole alerting system pointless. Thanks for fixing that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.