help me to choose the best im desperate

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pravbk, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

I installed KIS and everything worked fine but it slows down the system while scanning.
    Because im still testing before buy, i have 2 combination in mind
    AV-nod32 or new smart security,
    AS- which is best today?and suites with NOd32 or ISS?
    ghost security suite. or
    AV - avira antivir,
    AS - ewido or please tell me which one?
    or
    AV - KAV
    AS - ewido or counterspy please tell me which one
    ghost security suite.

since i have to do heavy work i dont want my system slow down and not much many programms i wanna install as security.
    if you have any combination which works best tell me.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

did you try kis6.0?
    or kis7.0?
    if you tryed kis6.0 you could wait a few weeks for the kis7.0 final and try that.
    do you mean the computer is slow while doing an ondemand scan?
    if so thats the same with most av's
    i just use kis7.0 tr
    and superantispyware pro as antispyware.
    the rest is alternate browser,and my brain:D
    lodore

3. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

how is the protection of eset SS? im thinking of using eset smart security and superantispyware or spywareblaster is that sounds good? any good firewall or other good active antispyware?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Ess is still in beta so i wouldnt reccomend using it on a production system.
    lodore

5. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

yes its beta but im testing it on my system.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Pravbk

You are asking a question that is impossible to answer. No one can tell you what will be best on your system. All they can tell you is what is best on THEIR system. Only way you can find out is by trialing the various softwares and see which feels best.

Pete

7. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

yes thats right. Im little worried about my system after some issue 3 days before.

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello pravbk.

If you're concerned with the resource usage and responsiveness of your system, I'd recommend NOD32 (2.70), it is not only AV, but AT and AS as well. And a clear winner with balance between protection and hardware demands. You may only add a free version of SUPERAntiSpyware for occasional on-demand scans. That said, I would give ESS a few months more to mature (as lodore also suggested) if I were you...

Good luck and don't despair. ;)

9. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

thanks for that reply.

10. swifty7

swifty7 Registered Member

I myself use AVS and latest Sunbelt Kerio for firewall.

for spyware i use the free version of SuperAntiSpyware.

so far I'm very happy with this setup, everything runs smoothly and my internet response is lighting fast unlike when I had Comodo as firewall.

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Sounds to me like you don't want to sacrifice performance for this setup. First of all I can't stress enough the importance of having a hardware firewall/router. This is the best single measure you can take towards protection and it has 0 effect on system resources. This is exponentially more important than deciding on what software to use.

Based on your criteria I'd recommend combining the integrated XP firewall with a program like DSA (Dynamic Security Agent). It's very light on resources, and also very FREE.

And as far as an AV, based on your criteria I think Avira is a good one for you. Nod32 & KAV are great AV's, but require some fine tuning and tweaking to really max their potential. Avira works well "out of the box" so to speak.

Just my 2 cents

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Forgot about the anti-spyware app... I have to concur with those recommending SuperAntiSpyware, it's nice. If real-time anti-spyware defense is a priority for you, then purchase the paid version. If an on demand scan once in awhile is sufficient for your needs, then the free version will suffice.

Other good free anti-spyware programs include: Ad Aware Personal, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster.

13. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

To the OP, I'd be a bit wary about going with ghost security suite because seems to be a one man show - check out their thread, people complaining about lack of updates. Although as it stands GSS provides very good protection, both in a HIPS capacity and as a decent firewall, I'm just wary about a product that provides no updates to cover potential vunerabilities. But if you like it whatever suits you.

Personally I'd recommend a decent firewall like Jetico v1, and a sandbox HIPS like Defensewall - in this scenario you don't really need an AV strictly speaking, although if you wanted one I'd recommend avira or nod32. This combo is very strong and most importantly, very light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.