help me plz

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by john_81, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john_81

john_81 Registered Member

well i am new to firewall so i dont know which firewall to download . i need a firewall which is lighter on resources but should not be leaky

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

LnS is a good choice . Outpost is heavier but , still , barely noticable , if at all .

3. hollywoodpc

Outpost is better at protection out of the box and configures easily

4. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I agree with that.

5. hollywoodpc

Yahoo .
    Are you liking Tiny 6.5 ? I love their firewall but , I cannot leave Outpost . I think both are excellent choices .

6. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Ahhhhhhhhh......
    Between hollywoodpc, paranoid2000 and hayc...I have to give them credit, they do stand behind their choices of firewall software..namely Outpost, and they are converting me also....lol
    I have not tried ALL of them in the market, so I am not in a position to make comparisions, but...but...Outpost works very well..fairly small footprint and (so far) stops what I have thrown at it.
    GRC...Atelier Web Firewall Tester, to name a few..none were allowed to enter.
    I am still testing, but so far no slowdowns or negative impact on my system.
    Cheers :)

7. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Yeah, I like Tiny 6.5.

I used Outpost Pro for one year. It is a really nice firewall: good protection and not so heavy on memory. I moved to Tiny mainly because I wanted to try new stuffs and for stronger protection.

Tiny provides very strong protection, maybe the strongest among persoanl firewalls, to the computer because of the sandbox. But the problem is that the configuration is tough, especially to new users. Tiny 6.5 is much user friendly than Tiny 6.0, and I really like it so far. I find myself a die-hard Tiny fan now :D

Well...for most people, especially who are still looking for a good firewall, I will definitely recommend Outpost Pro. It is too easy to get lost with Tiny.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  8. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Fredra -

Do you want me to convert you to Tiny 6.5? I can stand firm behind my choice and give you tons of reasons too :D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  9. hollywoodpc

Leave Fredra alone Yahoo . lol . Yes . Tiny is very good . The learning curve is pretty steep . As for protection , Outpost 2.5 pretty much gives you all you need . Even protection from some rootkits and other malware . I have touted the open process control for a while . Most users of Outpost do not know it is even there or what it really does . Most NEW users anyway . Glad you are liking Tiny . And for Fredra , Outpost is very easily configured to your liking as you get used to it . I love it . I only care to deal with the best . Outpost is one of the few .

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

LOL. :D This thread is starting to resemble a religious revival. :) REPENT SINNERS!

John_81,

Getting back to your original post, Outpost is easy to set up with its autoconfiguration but some aspects of it (like Component Control) can appear complex and confusing to new users. If you want the simplest firewall possible, I would suggest you take a look at ZoneAlarm Free. Its main weakness is that some people have had real problems uninstalling it, but it should serve as a relatively easy introduction.

If you feel later like upgrading to ZoneAlarm Pro then I would suggest you consider alternatives like Outpost, Kerio, Look'n'Stop, etc.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Check out NetVeda, light on resources and easy to configure and has the most comprehensive access control feature and content filtering feature for LAN and net,supports Gateway, router as well as ICS/NAT.

12. john_81

john_81 Registered Member

well i have tried zone alarm before but it was taking too much resources and i was getting many blue screen errors that is why i have uninstall it . now i have installed outpost and i am happy with it

13. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Offer is appreciated, but I will pass for now...LOL
    However, you can help NO13 over in this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=71544.
    It seems Tiny has hosed him to angst.... you can try to "convert" him back into the fold of Tiny.
    BTW... this thread is polite, so I will now go to my pew in the corner.
    Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.