Help me out on free suite...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by disinter1, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Well, right now I have Mcafee internet suite 2006, and would consider having a free suite of different programs when Mcafee runs out. Okay, I have been on wilders reading alot of you guys post, and learning different things, so I know you guys know what you are talking about. So I need you opinions, this is what I have in mind for free...

Antivirus: Antivir PE Classic
    Antispyware: Microsoft Defender or Sunbelt Software CounterSpy (or both? I wouldn't mind paying for sunbelt if it's better, it's pretty cheap)
    Firewall: Comodo (or would like to know if there is a free one with ad blocking and pop up blocking like my Mcafee firewall)
    Behavioral/ Proactive: Cyberhawk
    Pop up blocker/ad blocker(if needed): Panicware pop up blocker free
    On demand scanners: Ewido/Avg and Ad-aware

Okay now what are your opinions? Do I need to add more, am I missing anything? I don't need any spam programs, I don't open any weird/odd/unknown emails. Should I just go for a paid program? I've been reading good things about Kaspersky and Antivir premium. But does Kaspersky have any heuristics? Well, I thank you for your help, and I look forward to figuring out what's good, and so on.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1.) if u use Firefox u can use the adblock plus and the filterset.g updater extensions. it also has a good builtin pop-up blocker.

2.) id suggest Spyware Terminator for realtime protection (its freeware)

3.) iirc, there will be a new heuristics engine (update) later this year for KAV/KIS. im not sure about its current heuristics tho.

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I'll maybe try firefox again, tried it once and made my computer act odd and I removed firefox. Doesn't Spyware terminator have a shady background? Maybe I'll wait and read more into that until it'll make the clear.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Antivirus: Antivir PE Classic / avast! Antivirus
    Antispyware: Not needed if you're using Opera/Firefox
    Firewall: Comodo is ok, though i just prefer Windows XP Firewall
    Behavioral/ Proactive: Cyberhawk
    Pop up blocker/ad blocker(if needed): No need for it if you're using Opera/Firefox
    On demand scanners: No need for this either

5. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

IMO,

AV: Avast/AntiVir
    AS: Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE
    Pop up & Ad blocker: No need if you use FF with adblock. Opera does not filter ads. Use Proxomitron for that.
    FW: Comodo. If you use Windows fw use a system monitoring software: System Safety Monitor, PrevX, Process Guard, etc.
    Behavioural: System Safety Monitor (it's free)
    On demand scanner: A-squared Free which has right click option, to scan any files you may download.

BTW, get a NAT router and use a Limited account to access the Internet.

:)

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Well I don't know what a NAT router is, and thanks for all your replies. Does anyone know if the current Kaspersky have any heuristics. But yeah, I like IE because I'm used to it, I know it has big security risk though. But like I said I might try Firefox again.

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm using AOL's av, which is kaspersky and is free for at least a year. I've also been using MSIE 7 lately and really like it. On my machine, it's about as fast as Firefox. We're on a router and we both have Windows firewall enabled. That's all I'm using right now and, along with safe surfing practices, neither my wife or I have had a single problem.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I wouldn't waste my time on Windows Defender.
    Counter Spy will be even better when 2.0 comes out of beta.:thumb:

9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Kaspersky will have that addition by the end of the year hopefully

10. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

Avast AV & search & destroy for spyware but you could also run spyblaster & Kerio for firewall...Ewido's good to have BTW

11. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Antivirus: Antivir, paid or free, is excellent.
    Antispyware: Probably Spyware Terminator; Windows Defender isnt bad either
    Firewall: Comodo is an excellent choice
    Behavioral/ Proactive: Cyberhawk is nice but be aware it seems to slow down Opera
    Pop up blocker/ad blocker(if needed): It's doubtful you need popup blocking at this point in browser technology; as for ads, use Firefox's Adblock extension as mentioned. Opera CAN filter ads but you must specify URLs/wildcards.
    On demand scanners: Don't bother with Ad-Aware, it's past its prime. Use A-Squared, which is generally very good.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if paid you could get the antivir suite.
    and i agree with other sergestions

13. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Okay spyware terminator seems really good right now, but the company background is really bad at this point, what do you guys think? I read a comment on download.com and someone said that sunbelt counterspy was easy to remove, but left alot of regkeys, files and folders that could not be removed, well I don't like that idea. But, now I have a better idea of what is good.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It would be worth your while to find out. Go to any computer store and it will be explained to you. Or perhaps someone on the forum can explain it in plain english and avoid a lot of technical language.

15. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Don't forget Spyware Terminator has HIPs, so it would be ok even when using FireFox.

16. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Okay, not to be an OCD freak but I need to know. Very OT for a minute here. Is it Firefox or FireFox? I always thought and wrote Firefox but I dont wanna be rude if that's incorrect.

17. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Counter Spy 2 seem heavy on hardisk & ram. :blink:

18. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 + AVG Free + Spyware Terminator, completely free, light on resources and good security for the average user.

Some other options are
    Antivirus - Active virus shield(AVS), Avira Antivir, Avast home, Clamwin
    Antispyware - Windows defender, Spybot s&d, Pestpatrol free
    Firewall - Zonealarm free, Outpost free, Filseclab, Comodo, Sunbelt Kerio

There are also a few other free programs such as arovax shield, spyware guard, antihook, spyware blaster that can help secure you computer.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  19. the Tester

You had the beta and it used a lot of RAM?
    Uses 23,000 K here and that's a lot lighter than the old version!

As for uninstalls and left over traces;
    Usually files and registry traces are no big deal to remove safely.

20. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Okay, now I have to decide between Trend Micro Anti-spyware or Counterspy anti-spyware...I'm been reading into both of these products, both seem really good. This by far is the last of my concerns of what is needed, for my "free" suite. I guess I might have to buy a anti-spyware program, so much for free.:D

21. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

A very good buy, in my opinion.......AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 (formerly Ewido). Very light and easy to use program with great detection!

22. the Tester

When you are looking at buying an antispyware program there are some good programs.
    The best buy IMO is Sunbelt's CounterSpy.
    Like $20 for the first year and $9.9x/year for renewal.I would wait for version 2.0 to be released.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Oh, if you want some serious powerhouse, go for Active Virus Shield + Cyberhawk (which kinda replaces lack of PDM in AVS). I don't think there is much stuff that can get pass these defenses.

24. the Tester

Regarding good buys on security software;
    I see that AVG Antispyware has a 2 year,1 computer license for $39.95.

25. gevin

gevin Registered Member

i never try old version, i used to try the beta. my RAM CS uses around 21,000-25,000K, that a lot to my old pentium 3 system running XP. Currently my system running AVG AS, the Guard use around 7,500-9,500K and AVGAS use 1,750K at background. CS installation taked up 78Mb of my hardisk, whereas AVG AS taked only 14.3Mb. See the different?

I do agree CS is a great AS, but i prefer AVG AS, as it suite my old system without compromise my system security. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.