Help me learn how to handle update failure

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by act8192, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Mint 13, MATE desktop

Today, the shield at the bottom of the screen said there's update to new version of Update Manager.
    It "Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/maya/Release.gpg Unable to connect to packages.linuxmint.com:http:".
    Followed by several more of the same nature.
    I cancelled, then the update window was still active showing anticipated change from 4.4.4 to 4.4.6 on Update Manager.
    I cancelled that.
    Then I got a warning that I'm about to install software that can't be authenticated.
    I cancelled here as well.
    Then is started downloading files, I cancelled on file 61 when it just sat there doing nothing probably stuck on some server problems.

Being fairly new to the Linux land, I do need some help about how one handles this sort of thing as it's the first time it happened to me.
    I understand no/bad connection can happen, though internet was working fine.

What I don't understand is that Cancel doesn't cancel and, of course, that serious Warning.
    How do I know it was a legitimate download issue and not an unAuthenticated bad package?
    And what do I do about the Summary at the bottom?

UpdateTrouble.png

2. act8192

It's so broken now :(
    Big red X over the updating icon.
    I liked this version of Linux, it's desktop, no crashes on resuming from standby on my P4 box, all devices working (well, Canon Printer doesn't), most everything working really ...
    But now it's all messed up. The Update icon is broken. Do I have to reinstall Linux Mint 13? (I didn't have to reinstall Windows XP when update broke twice in 8 years).
    Please, if you answer, speak English like to a 5yr old, not acronyms. Thank you.
    UpdateX.png

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i am having the same problems.

let's wait a day or two and see where this goes.

from here:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=120123&p=661466&hilit=update#p661466

4. act8192

Thanks for the link. I read all of it, and indeed it's their problem.
    But on that forum I see no discussion of why the Cancel button doesn't work and what we're supposed to do about that red X over the update shield.
    So when they fix it, how do I fix what got broken? Will the update notification never again work?

5. moontan

it's working now for the most part

just make sure you check for the best server available in Software Sources/LinuxMint Software/Download From/Other/Select Best Server

the Main Server seems to still have problems

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  6. act8192

Today there was no red X after power up. Healed itself.
    Then the update to manager ran, followed by a whole bunch of other updates including Opera.

I suppose I don't have to do anything about the packages on the Summary section in my first post, correct?

Thanks for the Best Server tip. Wonderful. Easy to use :)
    Do you run it every time update shield reports there are updates?

7. moontan

i run the update shield every day to see if there are new updates and install them.

it's a good habit to keep your system up to date.

yes, it's all good to go now.
    it was just a server problem.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.