Help me decide on a decent Android browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wiwul, Feb 1, 2018.

1. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

Help me decide on the right browser on my Samsung tablet (Android v6.01)

When checking out Internet I usually find brief summaries of various Android browsers. Hardly any 'in depth' reviews, with a side by side comparision of features, etc.

This is what I wish the Android browser should do:
    - save login credentials in a SAFE way (=password protected)
    - be able edit password lists
    - ask whether it should save new logins
    - import bookmarks, cache, history from Chrome desktop and also syncs with Chrome desktop
    - ad blocker support (like uBlock Origin, or built in)
    - close all tabs on exit
    - last but not least: be fast.

Currently I am using Chrome both on desktop and on my tablet.
    Desktop: fine! I can't complain about it.
    Android: fairly fast, but I am particularly unhappy about
    - the adds - there is, at present, no ad blocker
    - it reloads all opened tabs after relaunching*
    *Haven't found a decent (read: trustworthy) add-on/extension that closes all tabs on exit.

I tried :
    Firefox v58 (definitely fine on desktop, but way, way too slow on Android. It is boring to see it slowly loading even just the Google homepage).So, I removed it.
    As said, on desktop - it is quite okay.

Tried :
    Built in Samsung Internet browser: this is really an outstanding browser and very fast, even much faster than Chrome, at least in my experience...
    It lacks a password protected password manager, so I don't use it anymore, with much regret I must say.

I read about Brave - it seems to be highly recommended
    Now, before just 'blindly installing' it, I'd like to have your views on this browser, considering my above 'wishes'.
    Who is using Brave here (and is also using another browser e.g. on desktop)
    How to they work together
    How about the password manager

Undoubtedly there are many more browsers (I've also been using Dolphin for a while), but I hesitate to check out even more browsers. Brave is the last one I want to try, if it does not meet my 'wishes', well, then I have to live with Chrome.

Many thanks!

ps Sorry for this long post.

2. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Did you try an adblocker with Chrome? Blokada, DNS66 and so on?

3. lofac

lofac Registered Member

Regarding firefox on android, I've noticed it is also insanely slow and won't even load pages, but then found out it's somehow caused by Adguard app, I've installed Firefox certificate from adguard and it is still causing this slow down. When I completely disable adguard filtering Firefox becomes so fast, even faster than chrome on my device (on 6.0.1 as well). Maybe look into your running apps and see if any is causing this kind of conflict?

For adblocking you can use Adguard DNS (it's free).

4. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

I first tried uBlock Origin - but it there is no Android version of it. Then I read that Chrome on Android did (and still does) not support extensions, so I didn't look any further.

As for Firefox - I don't have Adguard running (I removed it a while ago, as I assumed it was slowing down things).
    I do have Emsisoft Mobile running, but have not found any report that this app would slow down FF.
    A Google-search on : Firefox on Android slow shows sufficient hits to assume that it may not have anything to do with Emsisoft, but Firefox on Android is in fact slow. It is written everywhere.

So this is the reason for my asking about Brave-experiences''.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

As mentioned try Blokada.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Definitely Opera.

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

which firefox? regular or crappy KLAR?
    from all options i use firefox. chrome is possible but i dont like chrome, opera is also crap.
    ofc not because you have chosen KLAR and not regular. i am running uB with my pc settings without any flaw.
    forget any full blown antivirus an android. waste of time and money. i tried eset, mbam and all sux, not even close to their pc derivates. i sticked with sophos which is not intrusive.

8. ABaird3

ABaird3 Registered Member

You could look at 'Firefox Focus', it's a firefox version that blocks ads and tracking by default, runs smoothly for me.

9. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Take a look at VIA browser for Android.
    IMO one of the best browsers out there and it is only 450kb.

It doesnt have a password manager but it has ad blocking with custom block hosts file for which you can use an ad blocking domains list.
    It also has a feature called netlog which shows you all the domains the page connected to so you can add unwanted ones to the hosts file and a feature that displays the resources called by the webpage including all images and scripts which you can load individually to inspect the image, or the source code if its a script and block them if you want to.

10. 142395

142395 Guest

Brave currently doesn't include bookmark sync, it's on their to-do list. You can't import bookmark from Chrome as well.

Another thing I don't like in Brave is you have no control over their ad blocking. It uses Easylist & regional filters, but if it made a FP then you need to disable ad blocking in the entire page or report it to Brave (or list providers). Almost same goes for their safe browsing which uses Disconnect Simple Malware List & Spam404.

I use Firefox as main browser despite some reviews saying slow, as it's not slow on my end.
    But if you really feel it's slow, try Firefox Beta or even Nightly, they made significant improvements in coming version and you can feel that by using these builds. Not all extensions are available on them, but I've heard some good things about their speed from other users.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Haven't tried it yet, but there is a new browser called Cake, it aims to make browsing on a smartphone more handy. I currently don't use any browser, I just install apps for certain websites.

https://cakebrowser.com/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.