Help me clean this horribly infected computer.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'm cleaning a computer at my dad's work place. I ran AVG anti spyware and WOW it had 1749 infections. It freezes when trying to quarantine them. Norton anti virus security suite 2003 has not been scanned in 2 years and its expired and hasn't been updated since 2004. I can't uninstall it beause the uninstall file is in the glitched up and there is no remove option in the add/remove options. I ran A Squared free and Superantispyware they got rid of some of the problems. I installed Comodo Firewall Pro and I'm trying to figure out how to get Norton uninstalled so I can install Avast home.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok have you tryed dr web cure it? link in my sig
    do the symantec norton removal tools work in safe mode?
    if so do that then install av's like nod32,kav,avast etc etc one at a time till its all cleared up.
    i think the best would be kav6.0 after you have uninstalled norton 2003 using the removal tools since you can update it by downloading bases from another pc if you need to and then stick them on a usb key or cd.
    with kav you can enable self defence before the install ends so it cant be shutdown by malware.
    lodore

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Try SymNRT to remove Norton from that computer and reboot afterwards. :)

Edit: Oops, it's Norton 2003, so you'll need Rnav2003.
    Sorry.

Next remove all folders by Symantec and use a good registry cleaner to remove the traces left in your registry. Let the registry cleaner make a backup of your registry prior to removing anything from it.

Reboot your computer once again, install aVast and reboot. :cool:

I would also suggest to post an hijackthis log at one of the dedicated forums.
    This way you're probably 99% sure it's clean. :D

Good luck with it. ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  5. cheater87

OOPS forgot one of the Trojans is keeping me from going to that site or most anti virus or anti spyware sites. I had to download everything from download.com and I can't download CWS from download.com or go to the site.

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

You'd be better off not trying to unistall Norton until you've cleaned the system. Norton can be problematic to remove as it is. Infections can make adding or removing apps even harder. As much as possible, clean the system with tools that don't need to be installed. The AVZ toolkit is an excellent utility that doesn't need installing. English version download link.
    Rick

7. cheater87

Next time I go I'll give it a go. Thanks for the link.

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

That's one heavy infected computer, so better follow Rick's advice or post an hijackthis log. :)

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you need hostsexpert used to be called hoster http://www.funkytoad.com/content/view/13/
    normally malware change the hosts file to stop you going on antivirus websites.
    download hostsexpert and click on he restore microsoft default hosts file and quickly go on the sites before the malware changes it again. or clikc on the read only button once you turned it to default.
    or if you on a different pc download all the tools to a usb pen or cd and then use them on the pc.
    lodore

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very good suggestion ;)

Wilders Security Forums no longer provides one-on-one direct PC cleaning assistance per this policy unless a staff member here specifically offers assistance on an exception basis. Within that post you'll find links to other forums that will be able to help you with this problem.

These are also good forums for this kind of help....

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showforum=37

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.