help in restoring image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jerrycynx, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerrycynx

jerrycynx Registered Member

Hi.

I am a new user of acronis true image. I have version 8.0. I have made a back-up image of my c drive partition in the acronis secure zone, which is where i have my windows xp os. I have another d drive partition, which is where i stored my data.

There is nothing wrong with my c drive now. But i wanted to test if my back-up image is working so i tried to restore the image to my c drive partition but it couldnt work because it said that the c drive partition is currently the partition using windows os at the moment so it cannot restore to that partition.

I tried to use the acronis start up manager before windows boot up when i restart my laptop by pressing F11. But when i click on the restore image icon, windows start up automatically and i am back to the situation where i cannot restore my image to the partition that is currently using the windows os.

Hope you guys can help me solve this problem. Thanks a lot guys.

Jerry.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

TrueImage 8 can't restore the C (boot) partition from within Windows. It needs to reboot into the Linux environment. If you look at the screen after you selected the C partition as the one to restore, you will see an option to Reboot to proceed. That's the option you need to select to reboot into the Linux environment. In version 8, you will then have to go through the process of selecting the source drive, the backup image and the C drive as the destination again. Then you can restore your C drive.

Personally, I would turn off the Startup Manager and use the TrueImage Recovery CD to boot the system in the event of the hard drive becoming unbootable.

For more complete protection, I would remove the SecureZone and make backups on an external USB 2 or Firewire hard drive. Using a second drive will protect you from a hard drive failure. Using the SecureZone only protects agains software corruption since the image is stored on the same physical drive.

3. jerrycynx

thanks for your help. But i chose the option to reboot. And when the laptop starts up again, it didn't boot up the windows os but when into acronis true image. Then i chose to restore image and before i can chose the source drive and all that, windows starts to load up and the acronis progam ended.

The same thing happened when i turn off the laptop and boot using the acronis boot up disk. As expected, my laptop didn't load windows as i chose to boot using cd in the bios. But when i chose to restore image at the acronis program, before i can do anything else, windows starts to load up again.

So theres not way i can restore the image. Hope you can help me on this. Thanks again, man.

Jerry.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, that's both very odd and annoying.

The only thing I can think of right now is to use F11 when you boot from the TI CD and edit the line to read:

quite acipi=off noapic

Then continue the boot.

5. jerrycynx

thanks for replying.

I am not sure when to type in that command. There appears to be 2 ways to load acronis before windows loads up. The first is to press F11 after the bios and before windows starts. The second way is to insert the boot-up cd and change the boot menu to load from cd.

Both ways, I am not sure how to enter the command "quite acipi=off noapic" that you mentioned. Can you tell me how?

Thanks again for all your help.

Jerry.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jerrycynx,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

After installing the update please re-activate Acronis Startup Recovery manager using Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager tool accessible via the main program window, re-create Bootable Rescue CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 then please do as jmk94903 has suggested and try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described below:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest buid (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears;

- Modify the "Linux Kernel Settings" line in the following way: quiet acpi=off noapic

- Click on the OK button to proceed with booting into Acronis Rescue Environment.

If booting with "acpi=off noapic" does not help then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Note that since you use an older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (version 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD does not have a selection screen).

- Let us know on what exact step of the Create Image wizard Windows starts booting;

- Do you receive any warning, error or information messages? What exact messages? When exactly do you receive them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 home, create new Bootable Rescue CD, boot your computer from this CD and see if the problem still persists. Inform us about the result.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.