Help! I love spywareblaster but it blocks a site I need!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by PeteTheeBeat, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteTheeBeat

PeteTheeBeat Registered Member

Hi,
    I've been using Spywareblaster for years, since 06/07 I think. I've installed on every PC I've built and if I built/fixed one for less advanced users (web surfers) I encourage them to buy a license.

Recently I've started tinkering with akai samplers from the 90s. This has seen me re-learning about Windows98 and floppy disks, lotsa fun! I quickly realised that any Win98 would be safer to not connect to the internet.

So, ive been trawling the web for information and theres one website that repeatedly appears in searches re Akai S series samplers. Here is an example.

-akai.brothelowner.com/jules/Help/faq.html-

I tend to think that the use of the word brothelowner is some kind of 1990s "in joke". Unfortunately I imagine that flags it as to be avoided.
    I've reset my settings for 3 different browsers to allow the site and various other things. Ufortunately there seems to be lots on this archive that i want to read but i simply cant access it.

So I went into SpywareBlasters settings to try and unblock the site. To my shock I found my first "bug" ever in the program. OK not a bug really but, it would really useful if I could arrange lists in alphabetical order of address (in most progs I have, this is done by clicking on the column title) rather than be just the rigid "item name". I cannot search the addresses slowly or at all without a migraine or blurry vision kicking in. Would it be too difficult to add such an option to the code of SB.

I realise I could just disable it for a while, but the last time I did, a few years ago! I had my worst virus experience ever. I also use Avast and Ccleaner with SB to form the core of my online security. I cant work/earn a lot thanks to a big hole in a road meeting my motorbike wheel in 1986, long b4 ambulance chasers where prolific, therefore I rely on free software. I also trust it a lot more to work in my interests, rather than for any corporation.

So I would really appreciate any guidance with this problem AND/OR adding the alphabetic option to all collumns.

Its a reasonably small interface and I personally really struggle to find the item to unblock if everything is in no particular order. It could well just be me! But I'm sure the option I've hinted at would make spywareblaster a little bit more user friendly.
    But as I said before, this is the 1st time in thousands of hours of use that I have EVER wanted to over rule an SB decision!

Many Thanks
    Pete Shuttleworth

2. Get

Get Registered Member

Why not disable SB and use Sandboxie free during.

3. PeteTheeBeat

OK I'll have a look, but like I said I really trust SB and its been running in the background of every PC I've been near for the past few years! I wanted to avoid disabling it and simply add that old site to an ignore list. Is it possible there are dangers there even though its a last century archive?

4. PeteTheeBeat

PS many thanks for your quick reply

5. PeteTheeBeat

Also I find it frustrating that I can click on the column header, yet that click has no purpose it seems... I use several progs for dealing with my myriad of music files and each one seems to have the "click column header to alphabetize" element of their interface. Maybe I'm so used to it, that when I'm faced with a "virtual list" that I cant auto-order I am flummoxed...
    I suppose I just hoped that somebody who actually writes the software might read my post. As I dont/cant pay for spywareblaster my only recourse to ask for support seems to be to join the forum....

6. Get

Get Registered Member

No thanks and why not always use sandboxie and disabling sb for this site alone? It's perfectly safe (as far as perfectly safe goes). The free version is also very good: (Q. Which features are available in the paid version?
    A. Two features:
    • "Force" programs: Automatically run programs under Sandboxie even when they are not started directly through Sandboxie. Programs can be "forced" by name or by containing folder.
    • Run programs in more than one sandbox at the same time. This causes error SBIE1303 in the free version.).
    As for the missing "alfabetic order"- feature...that shouldn't be too big a deal for Javacool I guess.

7. PeteTheeBeat

I just want one of my most trusted bits of software to be a tiny bit more user friendly!!!!!

Part of my problem is that I am unable to disable SB for just that site. From what I've tried I would I need to go into the "restricted sites" settings of SB and find the site and unblock it. The sites are listed randomly as the "item names" are in numerical then alphabetical order. I dont know what "item" is being blocked so I tried scrolling through the hundreds of site names in the next column. SpywareBlaster is a small interface which makes it even harder to scroll through the list of sites. The column header "Address" behaves as though it can be clicked, yet doing so does nothing. My point was that in other software I've used clicking on a column header simply orders the list/databass in an order. That would have surely enabled easy negotiating to a point where I could add an exclusion for the old 90s site I want to check out. I dont want to have to switch FB off, I want someone from the actual software team to at least tell me to naff off and buy a copy, or better still consider the option making the reduntant button do something.

I wanted to ask Javacool or SBs creators if such a function could be added, but as I have never been able to pay for the software I was led to this forum after there was no answer in the knowledge database. Does anybody from javacool actually use these forums!

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Have you tried right-clicking the block lists and using the Find function?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  9. PeteTheeBeat

Brilliant, thank you so much!

but now I have discovered the site I want to access isnt even being blocked by SB.....

Harrrumph...

10. PeteTheeBeat

-akai.brothelowner.com- is the site. Its an archive of stuff relating to akai samplers of the 90s. The address appears in lots of google searches re the Akai S2000 sampler. Does anyone have any advice on how to view old web pages safely? I suppose I should try sandboxie now I know spywareblaster is not blocking access. It may be the case that the site is genuinely still hosting something bad,or has been hacked but theres precious little old stuff available. I have the feeling that the name was chosen as a joke in the 90s when the extant of the internet (or its security software) was probabaly unimaginable! but now is blocked by Chrome/IE9/Firefox. I have Avast web rep. and it never flags the site in search lists.

Thanks for all the replies any way folks, I really appreciate it even if my frustration creeps into words occasionally.

11. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Hostsman

Sometimes i enhance words by adding an exe. or sys after them in a Google search fox example. Words are powerful and where to put those powerful words to better use than Hostsman from Major Geeks :D

HostsMan is a freeware application that lets you manage your Hosts file with ease.

Features:

- online update of hosts file;
    - enable/disable usage of hosts file;
    - open Hosts file with one click;
    - merge two hosts files;
    - built-in hosts editor;
    - prevent other programs of writing to the hosts;
    - scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks;
    - find how many host names;
    - easily install newly downloaded hosts file;
    - create encrypted backups of your hosts file;
    - resolve host names;
    - keep log of latest blocked sites;
    - etc.

Limitations:

· Free for non-commercial use only

Hogndog

Btw..The original download site is abelhadigital..:thumb:

12. Get

Get Registered Member

Do you only want the page of the S2000 sampler?

13. Get

Get Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.