Help I can't get updates and......

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Barabbas7, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barabbas7

Barabbas7 Registered Member

I don't know what is wrong, but I can't get any updates for Spyblaster,Spywareguard & recieving an error message everytime. Something about my server. I have full access turned on on my firewall & I get updates from all my other programs. This is a First! I wanted to buy the Autoupdater--but why if these don't work at all?? Any ideas what to do??
    Frustrated, Tony

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I got this error yesterday....but it was ok today. Might be a server prob. Happens from time to time; here
    Edit: Just connected ok to server then.

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

4. Barabbas7

Barabbas7 Registered Member

I can't get updates manually or anyway period. Don't know what to do? Gives an error msg. I've tried everything.

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Barabbas7,

If you can give the precise error message, that would help, along with what operating system you have and other security programs that you use (your anti-virus, firewall, ect.) could help to narrow down the problem.

Also, have you tried checking the box "Use Alternative Download Method" in SpywareBlaster's update options?

Regards,

snap

6. tcohn

tcohn Registered Member

Hi snap,

I'm having the same problem. I don't seem to be able to get updates for SpywareBlaser v3.2

The error message I'm getting reads:
    "Error Connecting To Update Server

There was an error getting the update information from the server. The server may be unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your pc. The update information file may have also gotten corupted durring download.

Please try again soon."

I've tried checking the box "Use Alternative Download Method" in SpywareBlaster's update options with no luck. I've also played around with the other settings to no avail.

I'm running AVG anti Virus and spybot Search & Destroy v1.3 A buddy of mine told me to get Spyware Blaster too, he said it was better ;)

Thanks for your help in advance,

Tim

7. snapdragin

Hi Tim, and welcome to the forum.

With the other settings, did you also try the direct connection option, then close SpywareBlaster, re-open it again, then try to update?

If that didn't work, then it might be something else interferring with getting the downloads. There have been reported problems with some firewall settings and the recommendation is to re-allow SpywareBlaster in the firewall.

Could you also tell us what operating system you are using, and also what firewall (if any).

For now, you can try manually updating SpywareBlaster. You can find the 5 update files under the "SpywareBlaster Tips" section in the second link snowbound posted above.

Spybot Search & Destroy is highly recommended as it is a spyware scanner and remover, whereas SpywareBlaster is not a scanner, nor does it remove spyware. SpywareBlaster is a preventative tool and once you have it updated and all it's protection enabled it can be closed until the next time you check for updates (about once a week). It does not need to be running for it's protection to effective. Having both SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search & Destroy is a good layer of protection.

Please let us know if you are able to update SpywareBlaster manually.

Regards,

snap

8. tcohn

tcohn Registered Member

Changing the settings around in the options tab and closing the program didn't help.

I'm running XP sp2. No firewall. Conecting over a wireless network without a firewall.

I manually updated but would prefer to get the update working so I can set up auto update.

Thanks again for your help,

Tim

9. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

no firewall? man, you like playing with fire dont ya? sheesh, windows firewall is better than none at all.

10. tcohn

tcohn Registered Member

I couldn't get windows firewall to work with my wireless card. Can you recommend a good one to try?

11. snapdragin

Hi tcohn,

I'm very glad to hear you were able to manually update SpywareBlaster; at least you can stay up-to-date that way. Why you are still unable to update using SpywareBlaster's update feature, I'm not sure. It may have something to do with having SP2 installed since some have reported similiar issues, but at the moment the only option I can see is to continue with the manual update options for now.
    This would be a good question to ask over in our Other Firewalls Forum where it will get better attention since members interested in firewalls will read in there, and be able to offer you some suggestions.

Regards,

snap

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Barabbas and\or tcohn,

Do you use IE as your main browser....and if not....would you mind checking the IE setting dealing with Work Offline and make sure it's not checked Please.

via Internet Explorer top menu....File\Work Offline

13. the fredly

the fredly Guest

hey everyone. i was having the same problem trying to update spywareBlaster. kept getting the error message saying the server may be unavailable or the file may be corrupted. anyway, all it turned out to be was that for some damn reason my ie was offline. don't know how it happened. anyway, it works now that it is 'online' again. so why is it that the browser working offline stopped spywareBlaster from updating?
    thanks ya'll.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

SpywareBlaster is hooked into some of IE's API's\Processes....and due to IE's GlobalUserOffline reg key set to Work Offline status....the ability of SpywareBlaster to then connect out is affected.

15. tcohn

tcohn Registered Member

Big Bubba, you are the man with the plan. I switched the setting and I'm connecting. Thanks!

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are more than Welcome tcohn....and Thanks for coming back to let us know how it went [​IMG]

17. pcminded

pcminded Registered Member

I can update manually but haven't had any luck with autoupdate .... any ideas at all would help .. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.