help for newbi

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by sctod, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sctod

sctod Registered Member

hello everyone. i have just got broadband about 2 weeks ago. i have a direcway satellite dw6000. since it is always on i am very concerned about security. i use norton 2003 anti virus, mcafee firewall, and yesterday i found your forum and downloaded the diamondcs port explorer. i was using dial up before this and did not even have a firewall. that was probable stupid. i am totally confused about how to use this diamondcs port explorer. i have read many threads and the insturctions for the product. could someone please talk me through or maybe send a screen shot of how i should set up my system. i have changed my proxy setting to localhost port 8080. i really need help after that with what i should do. i have attached a screenshot of my port scan. i also run adaware. proxomitron is set to default.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello sctod & welcome,
    Unfortunately Port Explorer does not play well with Mcafee firewall - Mcafee are aware of the problem but have, so far, failed to address the matter.

If you wish to use PE you will need to change your firewall to another product, Sygate, Kerio, Zone Alarm, L&S or Nortons all work well with PE.

3. sctod

sctod Registered Member

no wonder i seemed to be having so many problems. i thought it was me not knowing what i was doing. thanks for the information. i will explore my options for a new firewall.

4. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

sctod,
    I also have satellite and have found that Norton's firewall doesn't play well with with the direcway software....at least on the older usb modem setup, anyway. It probably is not as much of an issue with the DW600. I am currently trialing a couple of firewall options myself. I am currently trying L&S and everything is running smoothly. At lot of people in a satellite forum I visit swear by Zone Alarm. Good Luck :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.