Help for an intermediate user

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by phillip559, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillip559

phillip559 Registered Member

Hi Guys

I've been hanging around this forum for quite awhile but finally decided to join. I'm not a complete noob to security but far from being as advanced as most of you.

Here is my current set up:
    Windows XP (SP 2)
    Nod 32 version 3.0 (selected a long time ago based on what i read here)
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Lavasoft Ad Aware
    Spyware Blaster
    Tea Timer > always on (part of Spybot S&D which helps prevent unauthorized registry changes)
    Windows Default Firewall (yes, please laugh me out of the building)
    Firefox as the only browser (with No script extension >i never allow scripts like double click to run)
    Acronis True Image for data back up on a secondary internal harddrive
    External harddrive only used for data back up and disconnected afteward

My Dilemma: Our household recently purchased a new computer (Vista Home Premium OS) so I plan to add a wired router (yes, no wireless stuff for me) to share the internet connection.

I know I am in need of a much better firewall with two way protection instead of windows xp firewall's one way protection. I may need other things also?

Do you recommend any specfic version/brand of wired routers? I plan to purchase a Linksys EtherFast BEFSX41 which supports both VPN and has a firewall built in to it (or so it says).

What do you guys recommend security upgrade wise?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Phillip

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For a router see either thread:

Router Suggestions?

Thinking of a router.

For outbound protection, how easy/complicated do you want?

Online Armor is a firewall/HIPS I consider to be easy, whereas Jetico would be a more complicated firewall.

Also I would recommend you ditch Spybot and Ad-Aware in favor of SUPERAntiSpyware, AVG AntiSpyware, or a-squared. They offer greater detection.

3. phillip559

Thanks a lot for the help thus far.

Do you have any suggestions for wired routers since that thread is about wireless routers?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Usually you can find the same router without the wireless.

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I cant recommend any routers without any wireless functionality because I've never actually used one.

However, wireless routers usually have a 4 port switch that will all you to connect 4 wired devices to it. You can just turn the wireless functionality off.

Alternatively, if you already have a modem, you can just buy a switch.

6. BBKing212

BBKing212 Registered Member

Hi!

It is better for your security if you are behind the router. The router you have mentioned i have it and is ok. But i have it for about 4-5 years. I don't know if they upgraded the router and kept the same name.

You can still go with wireless router and disable the wireless part of it. I would recommend you WRT54GL wireless router. Than if you want more security and control you can flash it with tomato firmware.

7. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

For the XP computer firewall, I'd suggest Online Armor for firewall/HIPS with excellent combination of protection and ease-of-use. For anti-spyware, I'd suggest SuperAntiSpyware. Both are available in free and trial versions.

In my opinion, Spybot and AdAware are essentially useless.

I use a cheap DLink EBR-2310 wired router. Adequate and reliable.

I can't offer any advice regarding Vista.

Hope this helps!

8. Jomsviking

Jomsviking Registered Member

Hi phillip559. Some comments on your post:

-Nod32 is a decent antivirus. If you and your computer like it, keep it and move on.
    WSFuser makes a fair point regarding Ad-Aware and Spybot. Spyware Blaster is not really needed if you essentially use Firefox and have " safe" surfing habits, but, since it doesn't do any harm and it doesn't eat up anything you might as well keep it should you drink something evil and as a consequence use IE.

- No need to laugh you out of the building because you use the windows firewall; it will provide you with adequate inbound protection, and it is simple to use. The world, in particular many computer forums, is full of smart a**es who end up compromising their systems using firewalls which they can not handle. It's better to employ a modest weapon that we know how to use and gets the job donet han to employ a very complex weapon that will backfire on us because of our lack of knowledge.
    Anyway, if you want to try a double-way firewall, there are many choices.
    Outpost is a good one, although there are have been some evidences of problems lately.
    Another good one is the firewall in KIS. If you ever grow dissatisfied with Nod32...

- Excellent choices on browser (the NoScript should be integrated into Firefox, but it will not happen, due to the obvious desire of wanting to increase market quota) and of backup software. You're on the right path there.

- As other members said, you should consider a wireless router; disabling the wireless signal is trivial, and you can always enable it if, in the future, by some reason you are forced to/decide to use wireless signals.
    Brandwise, Linksys is said to make decent machines. Some of the models (example: WRT54GL) can be flashed with 3rd-party firmwares, enhancing the router's set of abilities (which may or may not prove useful).

- I don't know if you already do it, but you should consider doing most of your computer work in a LUA (Limited User Account).

Hope this helps.

9. phillip559

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.

I tried A Squared and Super anti spyware and both found a few things the others missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.