help deciding which *nix

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xTiNcTion, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

Hello,
    i already have RH9 but i heard it reached its end of life and not being supported any more. o_O

so what other options do i have?

what about Fedora?

have to tell you since i suscribed to this forum i become a little "paranoid" and always want "more secure" way when using my PC :D

2. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

if RH9 has reached its end of life what about new "bugs" or "vulnerabilies"?

3. Etsnuffy

Etsnuffy Registered Member

I can't help you to much with the Redhat/Fedora core distros because it has been awhile since I used Redhat- I have stuck primarily with the Debian based ones- you might try some of the forums geared more towards Linux. There are lots of options when it comes to Linux- I'm sure it will easy to find one that is suited to you. That being said, I love these forums....I learn something everyday about securing my Windows box.

4. xTiNc

xTiNc Guest

Thanks for your replies,
    Yes I know there are a lot of options and thats the difficult part to me. Iam not an "security expert". would be nice if you guys give a clue in a good linux distro to make easier my try out experience.

Have to say i really appreciate what you do in this EXCELENT FORUM - since i suscribed to it Ive LEARNED A LOT about securing my box -this make my work easier without too many virus,etc-

iam planning in make *nix based OS my primaly plattaform. Of course, use MS Windows to play "Starcraft", Diablo or UT :)

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Xandros linux is a fun distro to use, you might check it out. I believe that there is a free version now.

6. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

from https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=40729

7. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I don't know about the rh9 problem, but I do know that fedora core 2 is a great distro. Post your question to their forum, I'd say.

Have a look at distrowatch. Lots of distro's, reviews and opinions.
    Check daily...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.