Help Configuring GeSWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rain_Train, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Hi, I installed GeSWall yesterday for the first time. Other than the clunky interface, I like it. Which is the problem; I can't really find out how to configure it. I use Firefox, so I found the Firefox rule and selected "Auto-isolate, no pop-ups." However, here is a problem (I say "a" problem because I'm not sure if this issue could come up again with another plugin).

I use Foxit Reader, and have installed the Foxit Reader plugin. This allows me to open PDF files in Firefox itself, and read them without downloading the PDF files (i.e. view in-browser). But when Firefox is isolated, it won't open PDF files; I receive some sort of OCX error. I tried restarting Firefox unisolated, and I can view PDF files with no problem. So the problem happens because GeSWall is isolating Firefox.

So my question is this: how can I configure GeSWall to unblock the Foxit Reader plugin/OCX thingy without having to restart Firefox unisolated? Furthermore, if this happens with the Foxit Reader plugin, what about Quicktime, Windows Media Player, etc.?

Help would be appreciated, as well as any other configuration tips!

2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

3. Rain_Train

Thanks for the links! I managed to get Firefox to open PDF files, so now both foxes (Firefox and Foxit Reader) work together in perfect harmony :p.

I'll post back here if I have any other questions.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Mind posting what you did to get it to work?

5. Rain_Train

No problem! Unfortunately, I'm going from memory, as I'm not at my desktop at the moment (and won't be for another day or two).

I'm not sure if this makes Firefox or my system less secure, but first I allowed Firefox access to some file called "devices/lsass" or something to that effect.

Since I wasn't sure how many other rules I needed to add, I then allowed access to the Foxit Reader OCX file. It's found in the Foxit Reader installation directory, under the "plugins" folder. (I remember this because the error I received in Firefox dealt with an error in the OCX file, and something to do with an ActiveX control.)

Finally, I allowed access to the main Foxit Reader program (EXE). (I figured I wanted to use Foxit to open PDFs, so I went ahead and added this.)

I'm not sure if any rules were redundant or not, but it works, so I'm not touching it. If this doesn't work, then try checking your log files for what Firefox is attempting to access when you attempt to open a PDF file (or whatever else you're trying to open).

Hope I've helped.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

thanks Rain_Train

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.