help adding 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by culla, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culla

culla Registered Member

i need instructions on how to install second hard drive
    the hard drive is from my old [p2] computer and has win98 on it which i want to delete and use it for data storage
    on my new [p3] computer i've tried doing the master slave thing but get the message hard drive failure
    i know both drives work fine
    i've tried setting it in bios but know luck
    i'm thinking setting them both to cable select but not to sure if this may cause problems
    such as trying to boot both operating systems win98 on second hard drive and xp pro on installed hard drive thanks for any help :D

2. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

Your're pins/configuration aren't likely right yet :D I never set as cable select.
    Pick your master then your slave.
    Each manufacturer of HD may be bit different on pins placemet.
    Make sure slave is active in cmos/bios(usually have mine off)
    look underneath where the pin for the jumper goes with a magnifying glass and see if the diagram on the plastic there is easier to interpolate than the pin configuration labels on the topside of the drive.
    some get confused :doubt: looking from white top label to drive end for pin position or not needed.
    As for format you can then right click on drive in windows choose format.
    or get the drive specific utility from the makers website.
    EG: for Maxtor,Quantum its PowerMax 4.21 also has quick thorough drive tests onboard,low,high level format options.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

culla,

I'm not really sure what you are saying here, but on each hard drive there are physical jumpers that you use to set the drive to be either Master, Slave, or CS (cable select). Physically adjust these to your preference, I typically use cable select myself, plug the last (or black) connector into the Master drive and the middle (or gray) connector into the drive that I want to slave.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.