Heard of Soluto ? Speedier Windows boot ...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ocky, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

http://www.soluto.com/
    http://blog.soluto.com/

2. tipo

tipo Registered Member

just installed it
    i`ll reboot, see what it can do an post reply

3. tipo

tipo Registered Member

it nice.oyu can see which apps are executed at bootup, delay them, all the processes are described, if it is good or bad to delay/close them etc. with it you can probably identify even malware.
    in my opinion it`s a must have!!! :thumb:

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This looks similar to bootchart - shall try it. Thanks!
    Mrk

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Tried it briefly and found it interesting to see what launches at boot. It found only Java updater as a candidate to safely remove and shave a whopping 0.1 seconds :p Applocker did see it as a publisher signed app so that's pretty good.

6. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Great tool. Yet like many other programs,I don't like it running real-time all day long. How about running on-demand from time to time?

7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

+1. No real need for it to run constantly in the background, unless they need it to build their so called 'PC Genome'

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

just tried it briefly,but install require complete MS framework to install first and then program install take another 20 minutes incl. indexing,after reboot updating database again toke 10 minutes !
    For almost all programs that start with boot '' no information available ''i'm talking about shadowdefender and sandboxie !
    I think your better off with one of the many lightweight freeware programs.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

This is definitely a useful tool. I had been using Winpatrol to disable or delay startup items, however Soluto identifies and makes accessible many more items. One advantage of Winpatrol for delayed startups is you can specify a time interval for each item. At the moment Soluto doesn't have that capability, but overall it's excellent.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

This is a cool tool.I just shaved 1 sec off my boot time.Without going too much OT,does anyone know for an app (or solution) to perform the opposite....i.e show me why my shutdown is taking about 3minutes compared to 1minute 11seconds boot up.
    ellison

11. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

That can be controlled with a registry key.

12. ellison64

Thanks whitedragon...
    What registry key and how do i go about doing it?
    tia
    ellison

13. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi ellison64, you can see here and here.

14. ellison64

Hi Majomo...
    Thanks for the links.Is there anyway of knowing which app or service is actually causing the long shut-down?.Im reluctant to put the registry key in without actually knowing what exactly is causing the shutdown delay.Hence a program that does the reverse of soluto is what i need :)
    ellison

15. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Not that I know of but the registry key is rather harmless.

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Fighting PC Delays, Hourglass by Hourglass

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Aww man! I should have tried that before this afternoon... I just got an Intel SSD drive, so now I will never know :D Saluto might have been cheaper...

Sul.

19. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

My WinXP bootup has been taking longer than what has been typical and so far I've been unable to determine the cause. Before installing/running Soluto I reviewed my start-ups and did not notice anything new/different, so I thought why not give Soluto a try...

After first installing Soluto, it seemed to me that it itself stretched-out my subsequent bootup and when my desktop was ready Soluto reported that it took 4:00 minutes. I was surprised that no other report/advice was issued by Soluto, but I figured that it made whatever changes it considered best for my configuration. Upon the next bootup Soluto reported that it only took 2:50 minutes, but it did so before my desktop had completely loaded (my desktop icons had not yet appeared)!!!

So either I'm not using Soluto properly or it's just not reliable/trustworthy. :doubt:

-----

EDIT:

Apparently my .NF3.5 needed to be updated. Upon doing so Soluto is now able to load it's bootup analysis/advice. However, it is still reporting the bootup time before my desktop is completely ready!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

By itself Soluto doesn't make the computer boot faster. It only shows those startup items it considers safe to delay or disable (pause) and a second category of items that may be safe to delay or disable. You have to select the low priority items and either delay or disable them to see an improvement in boot speed. Note that although the desktop is accessible sooner any delayed items still loading will make the system a little sluggish in my experience (One solution for this is to use Winpatrol instead of Soluto to manage statup items you wish to delay because Winpatrol can assign a specific time value to each item - you can spread them out and make them wait as long as you like). On the other hand any items you disable will result in a real speedup since they won't load at all. One of Soluto's strengths is the ability to identify many more startup items that other utilities I've used. Soluto's stated boot times vary somewhat - I don't know if that's a reflection of what the system is really doing or a quirk in Soluto - but over a series of boots I do notice a consistent improvement.

21. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Right ....but it seems to me that Soluto itself stretches-out startup time. What do you think about that?

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Probably unavoidable that Soluto introduces some additional overhead. I wouldn't know how to measure it though. Practically speaking it doesn't matter as long as the end result is better then not using it, but it would still be interesting to know. I would ask the support folks in the forum at soluto.com.

23. newbino

newbino Registered Member

When I tried it (have uninstalled since) Soluto appeared in the gray area - the required one :) - and on my rig, if I remember correctly, was contributing 1 sec to boot time

24. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Snake oil...

25. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

This could be a useful tool for those that dump all kind of garbage on their system, for those having not many knowledge on how to keep your system healthy, otoh, the looks & feels of the program itself, the website look, and the amount of "data" it sends to its homebase just empower my feelings that this tool will end up among other spyware/rogues/malware that have a great looking alternative interface like this one, but are not so nice on the inside.

Stay far away is all I can think of right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.