HDM14 crashes when accessing network drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Dave313, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Dave313

Dave313 Registered Member

I have two identical desktop PC's running Win 8.0. I'll call them PC 'A' and 'B'. Both A and B have been running HDM12 for an entire year with no problems using a single WD network drive for backup/restore of both PC's.

I purchased and installed HDM14 on both PC's. On both PC's HDM14 totally crashes when I try to set up a backup to the network drive. It crashes at the window where I'm specifying the path to the folder/share on the network drive. As soon as I click on the network location I want-- it crashes. I get a very generic message--

"A part of Paragon System Utilities has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

HDM14 does not crash when I set up a backup to a (non-network) drive attached to PC 'A' or 'B'.

I've also discovered that HDM14 on both PC's hangs when attempting to do any restore-- whether from my network drive or any other drive. Can't restore anything.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what I might be missing or is this just one more HDM14 buggy issue?

Thanks for any help with this.

Or does anyone have any thoughts on what my best option might be-- go back to HDM12 and try to get a refund on my 3-license HDM14 purchase --or-- just move on to some other brand of backup/partition software?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. Volare

Volare Registered Member

G'day Dave,

Perhaps this thread might help - Click Here

Interesting how it does not crash when backing-up to a local drive, but it crashes when backing-up to your network drive. Therefore I'm not sure if the above thread will help, but might be worth a look.

I'm not sure what's going on with Paragon - I have noticed they have been making a bit more of an effort to get involved in these forums recently, which is a little encouraging. I'd feel more convinced if they used these forums more regularly. I have noticed their German forums are much more active, so it might help if you can speak German :blink:

ps. May not be appropriate to recommend alternative solutions on the Paragon forums - but there's no reason why you can't read about alternatives or even ask for recommendations here

Cheers,

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. Dave313

Hello Volare,

Thanks for the links you gave.

I think my problem is very different though.

You wrote ".... but it crashes when backing-up to your network drive."

Not really true. The crash does not actually occur during a backup. I never get anywhere near that far along. The fact is it crashes in the backup setup process. It crashes when I am merely trying to tell it where I want the destination of the backup to be. No backup is even taking place yet. All I'm doing when it crashes is browsing the destination path in the backup setup dialog.

Although my ancestors are from Germany, I can only speak English. Afraid I would not do well in the German-language forum!!

But thanks for the link to the forum discussing different programs

I'm starting to actually miss Ghost. As frustrating as it could be at times, it always seemed to work for me. But then so did HDM12-- and I do own a 3-license HDM12.

Dave

4. Praz

Praz Registered Member

Dave

I have the same issue running HDM14 from a WinPE disk. As soon as I click on the network folder to save the backup to HDM14 errors out with a memory access error. HDM12 works fine and for now and is what I have to continue to use.

5. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Gents, We are aware of the issue and are attempting to replicate it, in order to figure out what is causing the crash. Unfortunately, at this moment we are not able to replicate it consistently to clarify what is causing the problem.

6. Praz

Praz Registered Member

Great to hear. If there is any info I can provide I am more than happy to do so. Thanks.

7. Dave313

This crash is entirely consistent on both of the PC's I mentioned. It occurs each and every time I attempt to set up a backup job/task.

I've also noticed that the crash always occurs at exactly the same point. As I'm browsing the path to my network drive, there is no problem until I click on a sub folder (or the + icon next to it) of a share on the network drive.

To explain...

I can click on the drive itself and see the list of shares as the outline expands to show what shares are on the drive. I can click on any of those shares with no crash. I can click on the + icon next to a share and see its sub folders then appear in the expanding outline structure. But if I click on one of those sub folders (or on the + icon next to it) that is when the crash occurs-- each and every time in exactly the same manner on both PC's.

I must add that this DOES NOT occur in HDM12 and it has never occurred in any other of the dozens of programs I use that access data files on this network drive.

8. Paragon_Matt

Is this using the Smart backup? Is it using the express menu or the full scale launcher?

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Does it matter? It seems to me that it doesn´t.

10. Dave313

Smart backup with the full scale launcher.

11. Paragon_Matt

OK Gents and Ladies, I have good news and bad news, first off I was able to resolve the issue by uninstalling the software restarting the system and then re-installing. So now at this moment I'm trying to replicate the issue again, if you could please. Perform an uninstall of the Paragon Software restart your computer and perform a reinstall. Please let me know if this does or does not resolve your issue.

12. Praz

Praz Registered Member

Does the reinstall also apply to me since I'm using HDM from WinPE?

13. Paragon_Matt

In trying to replicate the problem Robin yes it does.

14. Paragon_Matt

No, unfortunately I have only been able to replicate the issue from within the installed, not from within the recovery media, but please try this and try to re-create the recovery media and see if you are still getting this issue.

15. Praz

Praz Registered Member

I did an uninstall and reinstall and the memory access violation still occurs when accessing the network folder. HDM also crashed when accessing the network folder from within Windows attempting a backup. Crash info below.

16. Robin A.

Apparently related to the Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Runtime.

[When I first installed HDM 14, the program reported that two instances of this component were missing, and that it would install them. Apparently it did. Now, when I begin a new installation, it still reports that one component is lacking. I checked and found that the version reported by HDM can´t be installed because there is already installed a newer version. Apparently the installer doesn´t detect this. However, the installation proceeds and ends successfully.]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. Paragon_Matt

Robin, Thank you so much for this because it does help me to attempt to replicate this issue, more accurately

18. Paragon_Matt

Praz, thank you as well, I'm trying to figure out what is causing the issue, this will take time.

19. Dave313

Uninstall / reboot / re--install fixes nothing on my PC's. Crash is still exactly the same as I previously described.

This same process occurs on both of my PC's-- other than that on the re-installation, install again reports both 'components' are again missing.

20. Paragon_Matt

Thank you for clarifying that Dave, it may help me replicate this issue a little faster. I will continue my testing and let you know. In the mean time if those components are showing up as missing, please attempt to install them manually and seeing if you still get the error, if you would be so kind.

21. Dave313

I would do that--- but I do not know where to find an installation source for those files/components.

22. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

23. Paragon_Matt

24. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Links saved in the history of my downloads
    but before I install these packages, I had to remove the newer
    this in one Win7 x64, in other Win7 x64 - install without questions and downloads and also in Win8.1 x64

25. Robin A.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.