HDM 2011 - How to copy the Partition List into a text file?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by brocks, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brocks

brocks Registered Member

I'm using the 2011 Hard Disk Manager Suite.

When I first start it up in Disk View, I get a nice screen that shows a graphic disk map at the bottom of the screen, and a tabbed pane at the top that has mostly text information. The Partition List tab shows all the disk and partition sizes, used and free space, volume labels, etc. It has some tiny icons that don't serve much purpose, but other than that it's all text.

I'm about to start deleting and recreating some partitions, and I would really like to be able to copy that info into a text file, so I can keep track of the changes as I make them. I've looked through the manual, but I couldn't find how to do it.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Thank you.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The PrtScr key on your keyboard will copy the screen to the clipboard. You can then paste it into a graphics program such as Paint and others and save it.

Various graphics programs may have capture abilities so you can only capture the selected area, etc.

If you have Win 7 then the best way is the Snipping Tool:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

4. brocks

brocks Registered Member

Thanks for the responses, but I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear.

I'm asking if there is a command within Paragon HDM to copy the information for pasting into a TEXT file.

I want to save the text information, not a picture of it, but I am not interested in buying a separate program to convert a screen to text.

Thank you.

5. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Unfortunately, there are no commands to export that directly to a file. I will suggest this as a product recommendation, my apologies.

6. brocks

brocks Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I do think it would be a nice feature to have.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I know you want text but I've used the PrtScrn method to capture the data from Windows Disk Management screen to keep track of changes and it has provided me all the info I wanted as a series of jpg files.

8. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

brocks, you made me curious.

I am running HDM 2012. In the disk view, the bottom right pane changes as I navigate in the upper pane. In the lower pane I can perform the Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C commands, and then paste the text into a text file.

Isn't this exactly what you wanted?

Attached Files:

9. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

John,

I know there is that function in which case you can copy and paste it, but I believe the OP was looking for a way to export it to a specific file, though I may be wrong.

10. John Doe Genius

Only brocks can tell us what he was looking for.

Personally I copied the information about each partition into a spreadsheet to have the info in columns. I cannot see any difficulties in saving the data into a specific file, an existing one ore a new one. The file format should not be any problem either; most spreadsheet packages are able to save the data in several formats.

So, it's up to you, brocks. If you want a single-click operation, the Paragon app has to be changed. But, if you can tolerate 3 keystrokes (ctrl-a, -c, -v) for each partition, “my” solution should be acceptable.

11. brocks

brocks Registered Member

Thanks very much for your post.

First, to avoid confusion, there is an option in the menu (View/Show Disk Map) that lets you put the pane we're talking about either above or below the disk map. So it's the upper pane for me, and the lower pane for you.

Second, to answer Matt's question, I don't need export; copy and paste would be fine.

Third, in HDM11 I can do what you said, but but it doesn't give me the information I wanted. You are apparently copying the info from the Properties tab, and I can copy and paste that, but that gives info either on entire physical drives, or logical drives.

What I wanted was the info in the "Partition List" tab, and right clicking there gives me a lot of choices to format partitions and the like, but nothing about selecting or copying the info. In case it's called something different in HDM12, my Partition List tab contains a very compact table of all partitions on all drives, file system, volume size, used space, free space, volume label, active status, and hidden status.

I'd be very grateful if you would check whether you can copy and paste the info from the Partition List in HDM12, as I might need to upgrade --- depending on whether HDM12 solves another problem I'm having, which I will create a separate topic for in the next hour or so.

Thanks again for the response.

12. John Doe Genius

It seems to be similar in HDM12, but all the info in “Partition List” is present in the “Logical Drive Pane” (+ some more items).

I am not able to copy the info from the partition list; right-click gives a lot of options as you described. So, you have to perform the copy operation for each logical drive.

Attached Files:

13. brocks

brocks Registered Member

Thanks for the response.

I didn't have that logical drive pane, so I changed my layout to "Professional" as you helpfully indicated.

But when I did that, I got another little pane that said "Partition List," separate from the tab with the same label. And when I expanded that and clicked on the little arrow on the right end of its title bar, I got a huge list of properties I can display, including raw data from the MBR like starting and ending sectors, which is even more what I wanted than what the partition tab had, because I'm doing stuff with a hex editor in my MBR that the sector info will help with.

So now what I want, if any Paragon people are reading this, is a way to copy the information from the Partition List PANE into a text file.

But thanks again for verifying that HDM12 works pretty much the same way. Hopefully HDM13 will take care of this, along with my Truecrypt problems (I started another topic for that).

14. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

HDM 12 is quite recent, 13 will be quite a while.

You could just get what you want and more from fdisk.txt in the paragon "program" folder.

15. brocks

brocks Registered Member

Thank you, but at least in my HDM11, the info in that file is not as useful or compact as in the Partition List pane. It's pretty much just the raw hex from the partition tables, which is fine as far as it goes, but it's a lot more useful to also have, for example, the sizes translated into GB, free and used space, etc.

But I was unaware of it before now, and I'm interested to learn more about it. Can you point me to somewhere that talks about what Paragon does with it and similar files?

Thanks again for the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.