HDM 14 Pro Breaks PlayReady -- Any Help?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by CamaroDriver, Dec 26, 2013.

1. CamaroDriver

CamaroDriver Registered Member

I used the Migration tool in Hard Disk Manager Pro'14 from a hard disk to SSD. The migration went almost perfectly.

Rebooted on the SSD and the system booted in under a minute and is smoke'in fast but then I went into Window Media Center (WMC) to check it out and it fired up fine and I could watch live TV from the Ceton Quad Tuner Card in this PC, but I could no longer tune to premium channels, like Encore, nor could I play previously recorded shows that had "Copy Once" protection.

A little more digging and I discovered that MS PlayReady was broken in the migration. (this is part of the DRM services in MS WMC) So far nothing I have tried has fixed it, if I go back and boot from my old hard drive, PlayReady works just fine, so it seems to be something the migration tool is not doing or I am not telling it to do.

Everything else in the migration worked perfectly and I can migrate again if needed but would prefer a fix if possible. If I need to migrate again does anyone have a process worked out where PlayReady?

Any ideas? -- Thanks

Key System Details:

Migration Software: Paragon Hard Disk Manager 14 Pro v. 10.1.21.136(15.11.13)
    System:
    -- HW: HP Pavilion / i7-990 3.47GHz Hex-Core / 24GB RAM / NVidia GTX 660
    -- BIOS Disk Mode: AHCI

All drivers and software are current, no errors on the disks, and no issues but PlayReady getting broken in the move.

2. CamaroDriver

Here is the answer before I go into my beef lately with Paragon:

When you use the Paragon Migration tool to move an Win7 that used Windows Media Center and/or Windows Media Player, PlayReady is Microsoft's DRM solution/wrapper and Paragon HDM 14 Pro Migration does not treat it properly so the DRM thinks you are trying to copy protected media and blocks it all, this includes your tuner card pairing with the CableCard so you can't watch or record protected content, even copy once material.

To fix it after it has been botched and not lose your current DRM Key (which invalidates all prior MS PlayReady DRM protected content on your system, not just the migrated drive.

- Close Media Center

- Open CMD prompt as Admin (click on the start maenu, type cmd, right click on the exe and select "Run as Administator"

- Enter “net stop ehrecvr”

- Enter “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady”

- Enter “del *.hds”

- Enter “rmdir /s Cache”

- Enter “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome”

- Enter “del *.hds”

- Enter “rmdir /s Cache”

- Enter “net start ehrecvr”

- Enter Launch Media Center

- Go to Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> Update PlayReady

If the Cache will not delete on the first try give it a minute and try again, means ehrecvr has let it go yet. You may find Win asking for the OK to delete more than one Cache, say Yes to all of them.

No need to reboot, WMC should be working fine now with your protected channels.

Now my beef, what is up with 14? this is the 3rd sloppy or broken thing I have found in this version, wondering if I need to switch back and then find a new backup company. I have always liked Paragon tools for their completeness and stability, now I am not so sure.

The first issue was that 14 could not install itself over the last version, now that is really sloppy in the day and age. The next issue was not recognizing one of the drives on USB3 when it reboots to do the disk back, just says disk not there, it is there when the full OS is loaded, still no answer from them on that, it works in hot mode so I am covered for now.

This is the third issue, with media being such a big part of PC's this day again overlooking something like this seems to be as slopping.

Sorry for the vent but I am really disappointed with them, sloppiness is the last thing I want in my back-up software, perhaps they need to get refocused on the basics that drove their growth.

3. Paul Nutt

Paul Nutt Registered Member

Agreed. For some folks it wouldn't install. I couldn't uninstall it after discovering it wouldn't back up my PC (the app froze at the progress window). I opened a pre-sales tech support request on Dec. 19th and haven't received a response. I was considering buying the Pro version to use on my work laptop but Paragon seems to be fine without me.

So after using HDM 12 I'm back to square one looking for a backup solution and using the 2013 free version in the interim.

4. CamaroDriver

Just found another issue in 14, now when I go to back up to one of my External drives it tells me it can't find the drive once it reboots into safe mode to do the back-up.

Works fine for a hot-backup, but when I back up the OS I like to do a clean back-up from safe mode. Now I will have to figure out what is wrong with that also, support does not even bother to reply it seems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.