HDD -> SSD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Sandunes, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Sandunes

Sandunes Registered Member

Will I run into any problems if I take HDD partition images created with HDM11 and restore them to an SSD using HDM11?

2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

3. Sandunes

Anyone have any direct experience writing an HDD image to an SSD drive?

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I haven't done it from an image, but have done it several times using the Rescue Disk bootable CD from Acronis True Image, and it works flawlessly. I eveu used it to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, and it automatically resized some of the partition with free space so that it would fit on the smaller SSD.

Prior to this I used some drive cloning software which I purchased for the purpose and ended up with a BSOD when I tried to boot the SSD which I cloned a hard drive to. After that I moved on to True Image.

5. Sandunes

The images I have were created with HDM11 so TI won't help.

6. roger_m

You should be able to write the image to a SSD without any issues. HDM11 does have support for cloning hard drives to SSDs. I don't think that writing from an image rather than cloning directly from the hard drive should cause any problems.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/release.html

7. Sandunes

Will HDM11 work for the cloning a 320GB HDD that has 3 partitions (2 factory restore partitions and the main OS partition) to a smaller 240GB SSD? The main OS partition is only taking 40GB so there is plenty of room on the SSD if HDM11 will auto resize or allow me to resize that partition during the clone.

8. roger_m

It should.

9. Sandunes

The Migrate OS to SSD copies the OS partition while excluding the factory restore paritions.

10. Sandunes

1) When moving to a smaller drive does TI give the option to resize partitions on an individual basis (eg part 1 stays the same, part 2 is reduced, part 3 stays the same).

2) I have TI 2010, too old?

11. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In a migration to SSD, having the factory restore partition in the SSD may be pointless. Usually, the factory configuration can only be restored to a disc of exactly the same capacity as the original.

12. Sandunes

I forgot about that. Crap.

I'll test to see if HDM will restore images and align OK on an SSD.

13. roger_m

I think it may have done it automatically. I'm not sure if you can do it manually, It's been a while.

I can't answer that, but quite possibly it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.