Having trouble with mounting an old VDI

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by SpeedyPants, Jun 22, 2016.

1. SpeedyPants

SpeedyPants Registered Member

Hi all

I had Tails 2.3 LiveCD file and a VDI file attached to the VM I created in the portable virtualbox on a USB stick. Tails booted up just fine everything was ok...had to format the VDI so I could put some stuff in it, like I did, and then I encrypted it (LUKS + Ext4). After a while I got the new Tails version, 2.4, deleted the old one from the vbox - virtual media manager: release, remove, delete - and then I've attached the new one. I also accidentally released and removed the VDI file....so now when I boot the updated Tails I can't mount that old VDI file because Tails wants me to format it again?!

What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't any Linux VM (just asking) be able to recognize and mount that encrypted VDI, regardless of whether I've encrypted it in Tails or in some other OS?

I have backup copies of the files I encrypted so that's not an issue. I'd just like to know what I did wrong and what to do the next time I go on updating my OS.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.