Have you used Rollback RX?

Discussion in 'polls' started by CrusherW9, Jan 24, 2014.

?

What was your experience with Rollback RX?

1. Positive

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Negative

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

If you've used Rollback RX, what was your experience with it? Was it stable?

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I haven't but I've heard very good things about it. I only use Macrium Reflect Free 4.2 right now. If I ever changed it'd be to Rollback RX based on all I've heard.

To tell the whole of it though when I upgraded to Macrium Reflect v5 I found it to be terrible. It almost hosed my machine. So I uninstalled it and put 4.2 back on... and all was well again. So if that version won't work with Win7 when I upgrade I'll be looking for a new solution. My first look will be at the integrated/native imaging... I've heard it's pretty good.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Negative due to the way they access MRB. Usually it was stable, except for one hick up that forced me to format my HD. Macrium Reflect was stable for me 100% of the time.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've wasted my money. Let me just say that the program was working fine on my Vista machine except for one issue that forced me to abandon it: every other month it was recommended to uninstall the program and do some maintenance, things like defrag, backup images (if one wants to backup with RRX installed one has to perform a sector by sector backup resulting in huge and time consuming images).

So far so good except that my program had to be re-activated by sending an e-mail to Support for every re-install... I mean really, no way I was going to play that kind of game. Furthermore the program is invasive, it takes over your whole machine. Last but not least I've read of too many horror stories related to RRX. I don't know about the latest version whether they changed their anti-piracy policy but for me Shadow Defender is safer, more reliable even though it is not exactly comparable to RRX.

5. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I've had to clean up and repair/recover other peoples' systems which had RBRX installed. On these systems it has not been reliable. Without going into lengthy ramblings I recommend against RBRX because:

1- I feel that RBRX adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to the filing system. It also negatively impacts the ability to image the system for backup purposes.

2- I tend to trust NTFS implicitly, and have been pleased with its overall performance; especially when abused by improper shutdowns or when working with a failing disk. With RBRX, all this goes out the window. No pun intended. I feel the inherent robustness of a journaling file system is compromised.

3- I also feel that the potential for files to develop latent problems, or unexpected issues, is much much higher on an RBRX enabled system. Understand with RBRX you've just added a seriously convoluted sector/file mapping scheme. Not to mention all the extra I/O pre-processing needed to figure out where a file is and where to put it. And it only gets worse as your snapshots grow in number and size.

Perhaps some of these problems have been mitigated now that the program has been debugged and beta-tested by the installed customer base. Perhaps not.

RBRX might be alright for small home systems, facebooking, email, browsing.. But a mission critical system? Never! Ever! Ever!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I bought a license 7 or 8 years ago so I can only speak from that experience.

I was really impressed with the fantastic speed it took the snapshots. I even left FDISR for a while since Rollback RX did the job so much faster! :oops:

It worked fine for 3 months when it suddenly erased allt the snapshots, only the base remained. No warning or anything. After a reboot to another snapshot it was a fact. All the changes I´ve done from the base disappeared. Back in the day you could not use any imaging software with Rollback since it had a uniqe way of taking the snapshots and the snapshots wasnt included in the image. So I lost confidence in it. I have a very low tolerance towards important software like that and imaging software.

Maybe Rollback is more reliable today, I dont know. Maybe I´ll test it sometime...

7. timcan

timcan Registered Member

I use the Rollback RX sister program called EAZ-FIX. I've been using it since 2007 on Win xp.Never used it on any other OS but works well for me on xp.
    I don't uninstall it to do monthly maintenance or any of that stuff some of the guys here suggest, I just let Eaz-Fix do it's own defraging.

It's been a keeper for me.:)

8. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Another reason why I was turned off by RRX was the constant requirement to call home. I haven't witnessed it myself but it was reported here on wilders.

9. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

When I informed the people who's systems I've worked on that part of their filing system needs to call home they just about blew up at me.

I typically describe it as the little man that reads the table of contents or a librarian organizing the shelfs. Except it's a contractor on loan, listening to orders from a 3rd party. And we have no idea what the dialog is about.

10. kriteshHDS

kriteshHDS Registered Member

Hey everyone I work for Horizon Datasys, maker of Rollback Rx software. I see that some of you have had a good experience while others have had issues with Rollback Rx, if anyone has any questions they can feel free to shoot me a PM and I will be happy to help you out. Also I suggest people that may be having issues Post on our Community Forum as our technical support team is always on there, you can check out the community forum here : http://community.horizondatasys.com/

Alternatively you can also submit a support ticket and our technical support team will get back to you specifically to the issue you are having and help you out, you can submit a support ticket here: http://support.horizondatasys.com/Tickets/Submit

I will be on here helping anyone looking for any Help with out softwares so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me :)

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I used it a briefly few years ago. While it did work well, I don't like the rollback concept as I prefer System Restore's approach of only restoring certain files, and not the whole hard drive.

If there was a 3rd party alternative to System Restore (not to be used to replace System Restore, but to have both running for the rare occasion when System Restore can't do a restore) I would use it, but as far as I know there isn't.

12. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

The only things I don't like about RB are the potential and real detrimental effects of un-debugged software [of this complexity] being used at such a low level, even lower than Windows' file system. One tiny glitch and the whole sector map can blow up on you.

I emphatically state this is undebugged software because of the amount and frequency of releases. But to be fair, they are trying. And to be even more fair, seemingly a lot of other software also have high-frequency update schedules.

I do like what the software is trying to do. But the current architecture needs a few big-picture shifts and improvements. THEN we'll be rolling! No pun intended.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  13. kriteshHDS

kriteshHDS Registered Member

@ Roger - The reason Rollback Rx restores the entire system and not just the system files is because for example if you were to get a virus, as we all know most viruses attack the system files and now also the more sophisticated attacks your personal files such as your documents and pictures. Rollback Rx rollbacks the entire system to a earlier snapshot for example one hour earlier and now with the new version 10.2 of Rollback Rx you can open the Snapshot that had the virus inside rollback Rx in a virtual Drive and access all the files you need all within seconds. It is much more robust then just restore the system files.
    If you have more questions feel free to post on our community forum and our technical support will be happy to jump in and help you out here: http://community.horizondatasys.com/

@ Keatah thanks for your nice words, you should check out out new Rollback Rx Version 10.2 that has lots more new and updates done to it. The big one is now you can look inside any snapshot at any given time in a virtual drive and access the data if need be. Also supports windows 8 and 8.1, the GPT partition and UEFI bios.

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, and does it explain the reasoning for how it works. Still, in my case I'd prefer a System Restore type program, but I may recommend this to my clients,

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've used it in the past but it didnt last long.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yes, I used V9 and 10. It did what it is advertized to do, and saved my bacon a few times. The ability to change snapshots was fast. On the negative side, it messes with your MBR to it's advantage, forces you to uninstall and re-install it just to do a defrag etc. A real pita for me. It saves it's snapshots on your computer. I want the destination folder on an external HD. They advertized that an upgrade was coming for almost a year, stringing customers along always promising it's coming next month that never materialized until almost a year later, if my memory is correct.

17. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

When it works, it works. When it doesn't, good luck. Personally, I wouldn't use it on production or mission critical systems. For a machine dedicated to testing programs/multiple system config and you want the convenience of going back and forth snapshots...maybe.

18. guest

guest Guest

all was perfect until i got a powercut, then when rebooted, RX was unable to load itself , so i was stuck with a unbootable PC, MBR killed, had to format all drives...

19. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Had this been a non RBRX machine, I would venture to guess you could have simply restored the MBR or made a new one. And the chances are you'd have only 1 or 2 corrupt files elsewhere. Maybe even 1 bad sector fixable with a spin-rite style utility.

RBRX adds a layer of complexity that seems to thwart such standard repairs. Not out of malice of course, but simply because of the inherent complexity.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  20. guest

guest Guest

yep , you guessed right; i would fix the MBR with minimal losses but with Rx it is Black or White , no Grey allowed ^^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.