have you tried kali linux to test your wifi ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mantra, Sep 15, 2016.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    may i know if you have used kali linux to test how secure is you wifi ,router ?

is there a guide to use it just to test how secure is my wireless ?

thanks

2. daario

daario Registered Member

WPA2 passphrase without WPS and you're good. For anything else than trying to crack the passphrase you'd have to posses a certain amount of knowledge and I doubt that you will find any guides on that.

3. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Remember to change your router password from default. As long your passwords for both the router, and the WiFi, are pretty complex, you should be safe. Disable WPS, use only WPA2 (disable any mixed modes like WPA+WPA2 etc), and if you have setting for AES under WPA2, use it.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi thanks i have this setting with a generate password with PWGen , i think it's the best tool

hi
    thanks
    but my question was , have you used to test your wifi or your operation system /security system ?
    thanks

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Which router are you using? I hope you will benefit from this post instead of "judging me". Depending upon the level of adversary you have you may or may not need to do much beyond what is mentioned above on this thread. On the other hand if your router has WPS in the firmware (even though you have turned it OFF) with someone like me as your neighbor I can quite easily turn it back on remotely. This is not a forum where we discuss such issues and I do not participate in such activities. Some is therefore left unsaid and will remain that way. The reason I even made these comments is so you may consider flashing DD-WRT to your router if it is offered for your model. The WPS function/feature is stripped from the linux software/firmware preventing an adversary from "exploiting this weakness" on the wireless connectivity of your network.

My post may well be overkill for you but my intent is thought provocation for all readers! You have almost 5000 posts so you may be well experienced on this issue.

6. boredog

boredog Registered Member

most routers these days have a fire wall. mine was disabled by default. when enabled I have three settings. low med, high.
    at present I have it set to med. can also set when users can use internet. ect.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

ok i own a Netgear Nighthawk X4S Smart Wi-Fi Router , let's stop talking about it
    it was just a question about how test my security , let's move on , and let's say it's secure
    thanks

8. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Using WPA2 is truly important but it is also necessary in addition to using WPA2 to use a password that does not contain any word in a dictionary, use upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols and be at the very least 15-characters long. A very short password can be brute-forced and may not take long to conquer. Of course one would not know how many characters are in a given password but attempts are tried regularly. We have seen 14-character passwords (conforming to the above criteria) cracked in under 5 minutes two different times. A 15-character password is quite another story.

For those who may be rather new at this a passphrase may be used. For example if one thinks of a sentence that says something one would remember then it will be easier to remember the password. An example might be "London is a very historic city but it will not be a good place for getting a tan". Take the first letter of each word to make a phrase and make some letters randomly upper case:

"liaVhcBiWnbaGpfgAT" (without the quotation marks).

Add into this some symbols and numbers interspersed and there you go. That password will mean nothing to anyone but you so a brute-force attempt will take a very long time using a very good computer. The more characters the better.

Best regards

9. daario

daario Registered Member

Agreed but who'd want to remember that? :D Just a random sentence with spaces and a dot at the end is enough. Maybe replace one letter with a number.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.