Have to move from yahoo mail - How? Where?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by act8192, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Why? Because the new improved yahoo mail is ugly, confusing, painfully slow as all kind of junk loads, and most inconvenient to use.

Unfortunately I can't move all messages and folders to another web service because my yahoo account is free.
    So what can I do?

What are good web mail servers? I don't like gmail.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Oddly I have just moved back to the Yahoo! Mail I get with my ISP. I used to like Gmail but it has changed too much for the worse. I quite like the new AOL, Zoho is good as well.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi There,

Both Gmail and Hotmail (Outlook, Live, MSN) allows for POP3 email services, and they can be locally configured in the PC with an email client.

Best regards,

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So you can't forward or move your emails to another service? I don't have Yahoo Free, so can't help you there.

If you don't like GMail, there's always Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail).

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I like the new GMail tabs. It helped me a lot to filter and organize my emails automatically. Also love the new Android GMail app interface. :thumb:
    But for web mail services, i still prefer Outlook over all of the services i've tried.

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have a GMX account. It's OK but once my entire address book disappeared. Luckily I didn't have many people in it. I have been told that this is not unknown for GMX mail.

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thank you.

10. act8192

Thank you all for the links to threads here. Very helpful for me. Why I missed them before? who knows.

After reading again and again how you can't transfer all messages if you don't have paid yahoo mail, I found help, I think in Thunderbird section at Mozilla, and like a dummy didn't grab the link to post here.
    Success. I'm free of the disastrous yahoo interface :) :) And learned few things along the way.

I set up SeaMonkey mail client. Haven't used it before. It's spectacular.
    Some 1800 messages in a dozen or so folders got transfered in about ten minutes, all into correct places.
    I can receive mail, send mail, delete mail, do attachments by drag'n drop like in Outlook.

Here's what was needed:
    IMAP not POP3 protocol
    Incoming mail server: imap-ssl.yahoo.com, port 993, SSL
    Outgoing mail server: smpt.mail.yahoo.com, port 465 (not SeaMonkey default 567), SSL
    Firewall needs rules for SeaMonkey to connect out by TCP to those ports.
    I haven't yet setup specific yahoo server IPs since I need to watch it a bit in TCPview, but I already saw changed IPs.

I never wanted to mix my more private mail from ISPs server using Outlook2003 client with less private mail at yahoo.
    So this gives me the separation I wanted and the convenience of a good, fast, and clean interface. Very similar to Outlook.

11. act8192

It turns out that you can, not move, but copy, see above post.
    Just googling, clearly, I was reading bad advice.

If there is a way to transfer, not copy and not use yahoo at all, I'm all ears. Wouldn't mind ditching it at this point.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.