Have to Dump Kaspersky, need info on this...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by zpro, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zpro

zpro Registered Member

Have to Dump Kaspersky Pure 3.0, due to no firefox 26.x updated for several extension...:mad:

So, I am looking at Comodo Firewall, and Qihu 360 ?
    anyone running with these, and if so, what the good and bad about it.

Thanks !
    :)

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Just listen to cruelsister. He is the expert on these matters.

You may want to search his 'name' as he has talked about this combo specifically.

3. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Fixed.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Could you not use an older version of firefox when the kaspersky extensions work and then update firefox when the extensions are compatible.?

5. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Comodo firewall with sandbox set to fully virtualized and Q360 is an excellent setup. Cruelsister has proved this fact again and again.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Agreed. It's a great setup and it's free.

7. zpro

zpro Registered Member

No, have several security apps, that are for 24 or 25x and higher, Kaspersky is only working with 23x of firefox, and there is NO help from tech support via forum or phone calls.

:(

8. zpro

zpro Registered Member

Anyone have a link? please post.

Thanks ! ;)

9. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

@zpro you can have the latest build of Kaspersky pure from here:

-http://products.kaspersky-labs.com/english/homeuser/pure3/-

You can check your build number using rightclick Kaspersky tray icon and choose about.

As far as I know Kaspersky doesn't need plugins for its web protection. I have tested it using opera browser (for which there is no addons from Kaspersky) using links from phishtank.

I don't know about the password manager. I use KIS 2014. Opera is my preferred browser. I use it with bitdefender traffic light addon and Norton dns. Thus I get web security from all the three without any compatibility issues ;)

10. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Just run Firefox without the extensions. They provide zero protection and don't be fooled by the names dangerous website blocker and the like. Dangerous websites are blocked automatically through the Web-AV component, the add-on is only there to display a special page in your browser. Without it, you just get a pop-up in the corner of your screen and a "page not found" in your browser.

URL-Advisor has always been borderline ridiculous, because it only paints green, yellow and red symbols next to Google search results and if the program knows the website to be dangerous, you can click on the result and still won't be able to get there, because the Web-AV will block it anyway.

Safe-Money and Virtual Keyboard can always be started from the program.

Once again: the add-ons are not needed for web protection. It will work fine without them.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

True, you can ignore those non running add-ons, a real pity and not a very clever move to give up to the solid KAV protection just for some minor add-ons... :thumb:

12. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

The funny thing about Kaspersky: they simplified the GUI to a fault in order to reduce GUI related support tickets. Then again this Firefox add-on issue has been going on for ages and I don't want to know how many support tickets it causes with each new Firefox release. Every time this happens the company's reputation takes a bump.

They should just listen to their engineers... Then there probably wouldn't have been add-ons in the first place. This ludicrous URL-Advisor couldn't have come from an engineer's mind. It has marketing all written over it.

13. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Kaspersky has been frustratingly slow in updating their products to keep up with FF versions. Kaspersky seems to keep to their own patch schedule fixing other aspects of their program and include FF compatibility to their patches. They do not release separate patches that deal solely with FF compatibility as some other AV co.s do.

Listen to those above that say that the lack of these add ons will not effect your security with FF 26.

Here is the latest moderator post on the subject from the Kas Pure Forum dated 12/30/13:

"The add-ons provide easier access to product features, protection does not rely on the add-ons.

In more detail, if the add-ons are disabled:

- URL advisor does not mark trusted or suspicious links on websites. Suspicious websites are still blocked on access.

- Secure Keyboard Input does not work, but the Virtual Keyboard itself should still work.

- Safe Money does not automatically detect banking websites. You can open them manually by clicking the links in Safe Money section of the main window. "

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=282755

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  14. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Yup, always thought site checking extensions are dumb and redundant. The normal web filter can do the job more reliably and while the website is actually loading, even though it may slow browsing down at times. What if you haven't updated the page where the links are for a fairly long time or a clean site redirects to a malicious one where the app can't crawl?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Run the Firefox ESR. That is what I am doing and would do anyway as I do not care for the changes they have been making to Firefox lately. Hopefully Kaspersky will come up with a better solution for Firefox in the near future as they are clearly doing it wrong, but for now Firefox 24.2.0 ESR is the best option in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.