have to / don't have to

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by minacross, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I use Mozilla as the default web browser and mail client, I have IE6 SP1 installed on my machine..
    I just want to delete the setup folder of the IE6 SP1 (more than 40MB) and just asking if I am safe with the Win98se default installed IE (in case of reformatting the c: drive )as long as I do not use it as my default web browser or I have to upgrade to the IE6 SP1 and install all the available patches..
    i.e.: does Ms-windows uses some component of the IE while I am online even if I did not browse the web with IE?

thanx in advance.. :)

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi minacross,

Even if IE is not your default browser, it is wise to keep it fully patched.
    This may be a bit less true for Windows 98 as for Win2K, but it still applies. IE6 is deeply integrated in your OS when you install it.

Regards,

Pieter

3. root

root Registered Member

It has been a while since I used Win98 and Mozilla, but as you probably know, 98 Lite will totally remove IE and windows still functions.
    If I'm not mistaken, in the setup folder, there may be a readme text file that says it is safe to remove this folder.
    I think if you remove the setup folder, you will lose the function to repair IE if any of it gets corrupted.
    You will probably never need IE except for whatever updates may come from MS update service, and possibly some bank sites.
    When I'm in doubt about removing something, sometimes I simply rename the folder and run for a few days and see if it causes any problems. Renaming the folder should confuse any program trying to access the original files in that folder.
    My .02 worth. If I were still using Win98, I would definitely go for 98 lite. It is well worth the money. If you decide to try that, remember, backup, backup, backup! Someplace other than C: drive.

4. root

root Registered Member

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Ie can not be 100% removed from windows, windows will not function with it all gone. Even IE lite leaves just enough for windows to work. Technically it removes all of IE but in reality it leaves a few windows needed files. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.