Have An External HDD Problem/Question

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TomAZ, Dec 28, 2016.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

For a few years now, I've had two usb HDDs attached to my computer with XP OS. Just the other day, one of them died and I replaced it with a new drive -- almost exactly the same as the original one.

When I first attached the new drive, it was recognized fine as 'new hardware found.' And it seems to function okay with one exception... when I first boot my system (or re-boot it), the new drive is not recognized (or at least it doesn't show up in 'My Computer.') However, if I pull the usb cable from the port and re-insert it, the drive shows up after a few seconds.

I can't figure out what's going on and it's a little confusing because everything is connected exactly the same as drive I replaced. By the way, the new drive did not come with an installation disk or drivers, so it must just be using universal system drivers. And the drive is also a combo unit -- both usb 2.0 and 3.0.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to how I can get it to boot up correctly? Thanks.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Try with the USB disk connected to another USB 3 port.
    All USB 3.0 disks are backward compatible with USB 2.0.

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try this, but it probably won't help much. I only have usb 2.0 on my system and everything is connected an configured exactly the same as with the old drive I replaced. That's what's so confusing.

Both the original drive and the replacement drive are Western Digital 'My Books.' The only difference is the new drive is 3TB -- the old one was 2TB. And the new drive came with a usb 2.0/3.0 combo cable (which I haven't really seen before), but I'm still just using the usb 2.0 cable that I originally had. I can certainly try changing that cable, but I don't see where that would make much difference.

5. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

It is an XP computer with MBR? Then you cannot use more than 2 TB HDDs. Check this link.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.