Have a question for Tidyup or SafeSpace users!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So we have guests coming for the weekend including teenagers. I would like to keep all sessions in virtual mode until the guests leave. Having said that, unless I'm not understanding the user guide, I can easily exclude programs from virtual sessions, e.g. Weather Pulse and Anti-Malware programs, so they can continue to update. Is this correct? Also, can I further protect my pc by keeping Sandboxie enabled (overkill I know)? Last, can I password protect or lock SS? Thank You!

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If you are wanting to keep all of your other apps active and lock the PC, I would install Returnil while they are there. Turn it on when they arrive and off when they leave. SafeSpace will work to but might have a issue with Sandboxie.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I actually installed RPremium the day when it was free at Giveaway of the day. I uninstalled it though, because I didn't like the idea that every thing in a session (including software updates) is removed on reboot. That is what I like about Sandboxie, by default it basically just protects surfing sessions. I also can try MS SteadyState, which will be great for trying apps that need a reboot to install, but I'm not sure how to exclude application updates with it.

4. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi

If you have Sandboxie installed, you should be fine with just that and a antivirus. I'm using SafeSpace the latest beta and I think that would work well for you also. Sandboxie and SafeSpace are kind of similar in that they sandbox the browser sessions. When the users log off it will wipe the session clean. Your antivirus should update without excluding anything automatically. Returnnil is a different beast all together. When this product is installed any update, I believe is wiped clean on a reboot. I think there are ways to allow antivirus updates etc. to stay when using Returnnil but I really haven't used it much.

Al

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

with Returnil I still get updates and once every few days turn it off and let my AV update again to the same point.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

In Returnil session the AV does it's updates. On reboot, before enabling
    session lock, I just manually update the AV and all other security
    applications.
    The 'sacrifice' in time 'lost' is usually under 2 minutes for all my updates
    incl. AV.
    Other stuff like emails/bookmarks etc. are easily saved using Returnil's
    File Manager. Then there is also the 'Commit selected to hard disc' r/click
    feature.
    My Documents stuff is saved to a seperate partition (unprotected -but
    of course backed up).

PS. I am very happy not to have missed the GAOTD Returnil Premium offer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.