Has your PC ever been infected?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Firecat, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hello everyone :)

I just wanted to ask if your PC has ever been infected with malware (Viruses, Adware, Spyware, Trojans etc.)?

I got AdWare from Download Accelerator Plus, one virus (Redlof) and repeated Trojan infections (which still occur!).

Firecat

Also does your PC have infection of laziness, irresponsiveness, or have the tendency to make you emotionally unstable? :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I expect that infections are the reason for most members registering here.

Jimbob

3. Firecat

Not exactly my dear Jimbob.

It could also be that we have registered for advice on a good security program to AVOID infection i.e. we have not been infected yet but would like to be cautious anyway.

Firecat

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I've been infected before, but it all happened on my older computer. I'm now using a new computer which has been clean so far. :cool:
    I'm here on this forum to learn more on how I can prevent infections and to keep myself up-to-date on the latest security news.

5. Firecat

I think its sleep time for you nadirah. Am I right?

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Maybe it's bed time for both you kids ;)

7. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

with my old computer, i had many problems. i had friends and roomates over all the time using my comp, so i had a few viruses. i think i had mcaffe av at the time, but it had expired and hadn't been updated in like 3 years. i didn't really care about viruses at all, i didn't even know i had any. it wasn't until one day i got a virus that totally crippled my system and i had to restore my comp that i started looking into security products.

now i have a new computer, i know who's on it and what they are doing. i use the programs below to keep my computer secure, along with the help found here at wilders, and various other websites around the web.

as for Adware and Spyware, i don't think there is a person in this forum that has never had both. i use to use kazaa quite frequently, and unbeknownst to me at the time, it was full of crap! my old compaq also came from the manufacturer with some malware items already on it. the first time i scanned my computer with ad-aware, i think i had over 100 different malware objects. i've never used any paid versions of a malware scanner, just ad-aware, spybot s&d, and spywareblaster for the past few years. so far, i think only once has something slipped by me.

so to answer you question, of course my computer has been infected by malware before. and just like jimbob said, that's why i'm here. ;)

8. Firecat

Darn..why do I have to make myself exceptional? I didn't come here for getting advice on AVs - I came here to see what else I can do for myself and others to have PCs safe!

9. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Like we say in Alaska............"Does a bear poop in the woods?"...............or something like that :p

10. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I don't know that answer, but, I thought they COULD swim naturally!?!?

Learn something new everyday!! :D

Attached Files:

11. Firecat

:D:D:D

Thats why I placed this thread in 10F...there's so much humour too!

12. Jimbob1989

Lol, that sounds patronising, but still funny. Anyway BigBuck, your getting towards 40 now, soon the kids will be telling you when its your bed time :D

Jimbob

13. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Spyware seems to be the easiest thing to get now-a-days. Maybe you should try Shadowsurfer from Shadowstor It will cut down the instances of infection dramatically.

14. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

DARN IT MARJA !!! Now everyone will know the truth about our bears :oops:

15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Until now not ever any infect...oops...sh....

Attached Files:

16. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

It was for me. ;)

snowbound

17. Firecat

:D:D:D:D

too bad!

18. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Yes, I had this thing called Norton AntiVirus which infected the pc so bad, only a format could fix it. Seriously, I did find 3 files infected with agobot the first scan I ran after I switched from NAV 2003.

19. Firecat

Y'know, I had a trojan called MultiDropper-JZ after I switched from NAV to McAfee

20. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:'( The Wildman has had not just one but rather two computer crashes. Take it from me those are no fun. The first was caused by a virus software program I was using (came installed with the machine). The second was by a hijacked browser. I now use quiet a few of the various security programs mentioned here at Wilders, an have gained a vast amount of knowledge. I have been free from problems for a few years now, SpyWare Blaster has caught a few things however, so has A2 Squared.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: :eek:

21. Firecat

No crashes for me :D

22. Jimbob1989

Thats because Norton is ~Censored by Jimbob~ :D

Jimbob

23. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Hi all
    I came here for information and advice when i had a laptop which was totally FUBAR with every piece of scumware you could imagine. I looked, listened and managed to clean it up fairly well. After looking at other forums, i registered with two, Castlecops and this one and have continued climbing the learning curve. With the information gathered from here, i have managed to clean a few friends/family machines well enough at least get them working again, but am only too aware of how much there is still to learn.
    5 weeks ago broadband was finally enabled in the sticks where I live, so to celebrate, I bought a new pc, AMD64, big memory, great board and fast as hell. Determined to keep this one clean of scumware, I put the knowledge i had into practice, got secured and tooled up the PC with Fully patched SP2, AVG, S&D with teatimer, ZA, MSAS Beta (great piece of kit), Spyware blaster and Guard, Winpatrol, Adaware SEand Ewido (currently trialing trojanhunter, but will probably buy Ewido at the end of the trial). 5 weeks on, NO Scumware. Couldnt have done it without you guys. Thanks.
    The only downside to coming here, is that I have a new hobby, Internet security absolutely fascinates me, and i really want to learn all i can - because if you look around outside, there is so much false, misleading and downright WRONG advice proffered that the resource offered by Wilders and a few other forums is invaluable.

ttfn

Jock

24. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

A heavy W32.Pinfi infection was the reason why I got antivirus and firewall protection in the first place :D It ruined our entire school network, got it home burned onto a cd and when EXEs started not starting I installed a NAV.

Now the dark ages of Norton are behind me, the new era of NOD32 and my own stupidity shines! I wanted to test my other defenses, like firewall, Process Guard etc so I said "Close - YES I'm sure" when the poor thing showed that big red window...
    ...windows updating reinstall...

25. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

The first ever infection got was the ripper virus back in the days when I was running good old windows 3.1. It came off one of those floppies you used to get with computer magazines, you know the ones that taught the basics ok computer there all called pc learn or easy pc etc. Anyway yeh so that was my first ever virus. I didnt have the internet or anything back then. I wasnt into computers then either. The second infection I got was from a keylogger. I really dont have aclue how that got on the computer. It was this infection that really got me interested in computer security.

Mivhael :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.