Has Update been suspended?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Cosmo32, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Really ? How ? Do you have a client who wanted a refund because they had to push "Update now" a few more times ? How can new clients know of such an issue ?

In my opinion , this can't hurt new sales . It could only cause trouble to existing clients . However , when I visited two clients earlier today , none of them have noticed that their programs haven't been updated for two days . I just had to push "Update now" three times and they updated. I mean , most existing clients (especially companies,firms) have no idea of such thing . Their program will just refuse to update and when the servers have more "free time" , their EAVs or ESSs will update as usual.

2. penny

penny Registered Member

^^^^ good point.
    BUT, I have been pressing UPDATE NOW on and off all day. Still stuck at 3301.
    Not a good thing when young teens are using the PC. o_O (running v2.7 because it's a 98se machine. Can not run V3.)
    and YES I am aware that 98 no longer has support from MS.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@penny

Can you try to reinstall the program ?

4. cgoldman

cgoldman Registered Member

Surely you are not recommending that anyone who cannot download the updates for v2 should reinstall?.

You know I am, I suppose what would be described as, a guru on the Norton beta forum. I thought only Norton had problems, but this inability to update is far more fundamental than anything Norton has wrong. No offence to any individual but you guys would not last 5 minutes in that forum. You would get torn to shreds (metaphorically). I still can not understand why my questions are not answered directly, and why my new thread has received no response whatsoever.

Can not quite believe that ESET takes money for a program it cannot support.

5. borisdiaw

borisdiaw Registered Member

speaking for myself, i can't upgrade to v3 because i'm still using win ME.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , not anyone . Just penny.

Sorry , I don't visit Symantec forums and I didn't know that.

You might have forgot to mention Norton's inability to uninstall correctly . I just had a client with Norton 2008 that came preinstalled and it took me 45 minutes just for uninstalling that program , 5 more to download and run a removal tool and 5 additional eventually to manually remove a lot of folders/reg entries. About an hour . You can't deny Symantec have lots of cases about unsuccessful uninstallation , right?

I just answered it . Check it , please . :thumb:

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As it has been explained, v2 users download a large 11 MB update due to the design of NOD32 v2. The update files used by v3 are much smaller if updated on a regular basis.

If there isn't a specific reason why not to upgrade to v3 yet, I'd strongly suggest you do so.

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

No it affects new sales. I visit a customer, install the wonderful new Nod32 & sit there for 10 mins trying to make the thing update. Then while I'm sitting there Nod32 pops up a FP the moment it spots PrevxCSI - which I generally also install.

It annoys customer & makes Nod32 look a useless bit of software.
    It annoys me & makes me look like an idiot.

= affecting sales. :doubt:

9. cgoldman

No reason you would know. I just wanted to indicate that I am not a schmuck! I hope no translation is required, lol!

I full accept that there is a Norton Removal Tool for many of Symantec's products. I also full accept that the tool is not designed for complete irradication. This is, IMO, to protect fraudulent reinstallations and bypassing of licence. Generally this is not an issue. I am not aware of any outstanding cases on the forum in which a user has difficulties uninstalling.

I'll check out your other response, and thank you for confirming.

10. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

Really simple - after installing whatever is on CD (with more than a year old signatures) NOD32 pops up a message saying that signature file is out of date and warns to update immediately.
    User naturally finds "Update now" button and gets a message that his version of NOD32 is up to date.
    After pressing that button 100+ times during 2 days, user is out looking for better antivirus.

11. penny

penny Registered Member

I COULD. But if the update is still will not working, (so far today they are not for me) I will be further back on virus definition files that I am right now.
    And because of that, I am not willing to uninstall and reinstall.
    Problem is NOT at my end.
    Looks like another day of hitting update now over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

12. Kisayami

Kisayami Registered Member

same thing here, i still with 3301 and i CAN'T update do v3 :doubt:

13. Gas

Gas Registered Member

Hello Marcos and the rest of you guys... goodbye Marcos and the rest of you guys (3 months before renewal) and hello Peter my Irish friend (Symantec support).

Eset 3 years now has been consistent but not lately.

I do not want to sound clairvoyant (maybe I am also out of topic and my post gets deleted but I was one of the last who managed to purchase Port Explorer and the one of the last who posted in the long gone forum just before DiamondCS went out of business, a three day ordeal) could this also be an omen 3rd day and Nod updates still to come!!!

No Offence to Mr. Wilders and the folks at Wilders Security (I am just voicing my opinion).

I am one of the silent minority just read posts and respond to very few as you can see from my profile because more or less ESET provided a fairly good product but since its involvement with firewall technology its antivirus products ( v2 and v3, both of them) have been taken ill or could the staff at ESET have gone on holidays a much deserved rest for any hard working person (I am in no way being sarcastic or catastrophic).

I had no complains so far with Nod but being in the mercy of ( a virus ridden Internet) and less than half protected it does raise a question or two.

Someone from ESET's hierarchy, why not the CEO himself or the CIO should enter this forum and give an apology except if (not having updates for a couple of days) is not of such an importance.

Anyway I've said my piece and I bid ESET farewell, no hard feelings my Slovak friends but something is totally wrong with nod32 I have a gut feeling about all these and I do hope that in the end I am proven wrong for your sake after all I am just a customer (one license) but you are a big company with thousand of customers and a long history behind you why and I do hope you have a long future too.

Bye and I am really sorry if this post has a bitter taste but as one great man once said:

14. cgoldman

Dear Gas

If you were in my forum at Symantec I would give you koudos. This is like gold stars at school. Very few people get koudos. [In Norton 360, I myself have 11, the next guru 6.] I completely agree with your views, not because of the reference to Symantec but because I do not get straight responses in this forum and direct contact with ESET has resulted in no response whatsoever. I challenge ESET's motives.

Being loyal to a product or product range brings no rewards it seems.

15. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

I think some of you folks are over reacting a bit. I'll gladly take an NOD32 program which is a day behind over a fully updated Symantec or McAfee program.

BTW - I got my distribution server to update by changing the update setting from "choose automatically" and started picking servers in the list. After the second or third try the system successfully updated. Once it updated I changed the setting back to "choose automatically".

It's really not a problem.

16. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

What about if a year behind?

Attached Files:

17. penny

penny Registered Member

Mind sharing what server you got to work?
    My results of this with home v2.7 are

89.202.157.136.........server connection falure.
    all others, "your version of NOD32 is up to date, No update necessary."

Exactly why I am not willing to unistall and try a reinstall. as was suggested.

18. Mister Natural

Hopefully you should have a list of servers that begin with the letter "u". Examples being u20.eset.com, u21.eset.com, u23.eset.com. Try one of those if they are listed and keep going down the ladder. If not try typing it in. I don't recall the one that worked for me, but it may have been u38.eset.com or u40.eset.com. They have a large number of servers so try various numbers.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

20. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello,

the best way is upgrade to v3. When user updates his EAV/ESS step-by-step, update packages are very small everytime (only when you use old version and after base update you update it, big pack'll be downloaded). In new major version you'll find other new features and I think, you will be satisfied. ESET do everything for it.

The best is set up update server to "Choose automatically".

Regards

21. Mister Natural

If I were dealing with a single stand alone (or home) version I would go ahead and update to version 3 as the Eset folks are recommending. It doesn't cost anything as long as your subscription is up to date. I'm running a corporate version with couple hundred computers which require upgrading. I've had other projects going on and performing those types of upgrades require testing before fully deploying.

22. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

Attached Files:

23. cgoldman

Not for you because you were successful. But for me I am stuck on 11th July 2008 signatures. That is not a day or two behind. I tried changing to specific servers (which is contrary to implied advice I received in other thread) however after selecting 10 servers, I still get that my version is uptodate.

24. Kisayami

Kisayami Registered Member

any official announcement? or that topic is left with the v2?

25. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ cgoldman

You don't need to jump over servers but leave them at "Choose automatically".

There is obviously a problem and you can't fix it by yourself. Early or later it will get fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.