Has PunkBuster and PG conflict have been resolved yet?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by tempnexus, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

And what is new in DiamondCS. Since after it's shutdown of TDS services I presume all the resources went into the new security realm...but what are the signs of any new proggies or pierogies?

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Yes, we've already released a new update of Port Explorer, a new update of ProcessGuard is just around the corner (we've already had a couple of beta tests), plus another new program is nearly ready for release - approx 90% complete, and nearly ready for preliminary beta testing, but we're keeping a tight lid on that for now to protect our ideas. A redesigned website is also just around the corner, which also has several more freeware programs.

In regards to PunkBuster if you search the forums you'll find a few tricks you can use and I think at least one still works, but ultimately there isn't anything we can do as it is Punkbuster detecting ProcessGuard, not the other way around, unless EvenBalance (makers of PunkBuster) change their ways and start addressing the root of the problem rather than what highlighted the problem (ProcessGuard).

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Registered Member

UnEvenbalnce has not and is not going to resolve the problem. They rely upon the EULA they put out and that's the end of responsibility for them as far as they are concerned.

My question is as follows. The renaming of the registry entry does indeed still work. With the next updated release of Process Guard, will we be able to install over our current version or will we have to uninstall and do a fresh install with the new version?

Also, will it notice the edited registry fix to counter attack Punk Busters poor programming code or will we have to go find that entry, delete it, and go rename a the newly created registry entry after installing the new version.

If this is the case please advise us in advance so we don't mess things up by having conflicting registry entries. Windows is a sensitive lass as it is and we don't was to upset the old gal.

Thanks in advance!

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

With the impending release of new versions of BOClean (4.20 and 5), and Kevin's recent fame with respect to the Sony rootkit issue, I would suggest DiamondCS release this preliminary beta of their new product by this weekend (preferably Friday).

If people purchase BOClean (I for one am considering getting BOClean), they will be more reluctant to then purchase another security product, such as DCS's new product.

At the very least, DCS should post some screenshots and give an idea of what the new product is to try to sway people into holding off before making a purchase of another product.

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

Juggernaut,
    Because of the driver-based nature of ProcessGuard (and security to protect it from attacks) you'll need to uninstall, reboot and then install the new version.

Defenstration,
    BOClean is an anti-trojan scanner, a completely different type of program to ProcessGuard. There is virtually no overlap between ProcessGuard and any scanner (anti-virus, anti-trojan, etc), and without ProcessGuard your scanners are vulnerable to a wide variety of attacks including termination, suspension, modification and more.

Best regards,
    Wayne

6. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I am talking about your new (as yet) unreleased product, not PG.

7. Wayne - DiamondCS

Our unreleased program is also nothing like an anti-trojan scanner ... :)

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Oh the secrecy...;)

9. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

You meant to say:
    Oh the wait to get a patent filled through the Patent system (with their 3 year backlog) :)

(check my IP ;) )

10. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

How long is Diamond CS gonna sit idly by

while Evenbalance blacklist their software?
    Wasn't it back in January that evenbalance said that blacklisting PG was a "temporary measure"?
    Evenbalance have been hiding behind their EULA and handing out corporate "UFO's" to people with the old "the EULA states that not cheating is more important than system security"

The fix described in this forum to get by Punkbuster is not working for me anymore and loathe as I am to uninstall software I've paid for I'm a member of a BF2 clan and need to be able to play on their server.

Jason at Ghost Security has said he'll make workarounds if PB try to blacklist his software and as a fully paid up customer I hope Diamond CS follow suit.

What's the worst that can happen? A nasty letter from the crusty old farts at Evenbalance?
    In my book, they are in the wrong from the off by blacklisting legitimate, legal software. You can bet that any American company blacklisted in this manner would be on the 'phone to their lawyers, double quick.

Thanks for reading my rant...

JJ

11. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I'd also prefer DiamondCS to tell if they're planning to even try to solve this at their end. I don't know if it's doable, so it would be nice to know what's being planned if anything.

Requests to evenbalance are going unanswered. Of course, we are not their paying clients, so it figures.

But we are clients of DiamondCS <hint> :)

12. Wayne - DiamondCS

Folks,
    I would love nothing more than to simply make a few changes in ProcessGuard, recompile it, re-release it and have Even Balance's Punkbuster users be able to play their games again.

Unfortunately it's not that simple, please allow me to explain why. At the end of the day, if Even Balance decide to 'blacklist' a program then unfortunately the fact is there is little the developer of that blacklisted program can do. Even if the developer says he'll try to combat it, it's futile - any changes made will simply be rendered useless a few days later by Even Balance (as they've demonstrated already in the past) because they have the first-strike advantage of being the detector, which is a lot easier than evading detection. This is akin to the cat-and-mouse game of virus vs anti-virus, which I have many years of experience with. To attempt to completely evade detection we would essentially have to turn ProcessGuard into something of a rootkit which hides files, registry items and so on, and that is not something that I think many of our customers would accept. Folks, Even Balance is blocking our program - we aren't doing anything with theirs. We can't undo whatever it is they do, so as much as I would like to just recompile ProcessGuard with a couple of changes so that Punkbuster users can play their games it's simply not that easy - Even Balance would simply update their software to detect the new version. I hope that helps shed some light on the situation.
    Best regards,
    Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.