Has anyone used Spyware Doctor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Daveski17, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Has or does anyone use Spyware Doctor? If so, how does it compare to other anti-malware apps? I'm just curious, thanks.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I used it years ago.

Then they released a 'final' version that was worse than the worst beta version I'd ever seen.

A very bad product, and very unethical practices by Pctools. Since then the company has lost my confidence.

I don't know how the latest version 'performs'.

But in my experience you don't need an antispyware application if you have a good AV/suite (check for AVs that perform well in av-comparatives.org).
    Viruses and spyware have blended into 'malware', and the good AVs/suites can handle both. Just make sure you keep your applications patched, remove vulnerable applications that you don't need. And of course, use 'common sense', which includes using a safely configured browser.

If you want to invest money I recommend getting a good imaging setup (hardware and software).

For removing personal data, I suggest CCleaner, slim build (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds)
    Don't forget to flush Flash cookies once in a while.

And a good read: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252253

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks for the information. I was just wondering. I have a complete AV suite & even a hardware firewall in my hub/router. The AV is highly rated by AV Comparitives. I also use Windows Defender, SUPERAntiSpyware & SpywareBlaster. My main browsers are Opera 10.10 & K-Meleon 1.5.3 (with SRWare Iron as back up). For an added precaution I can easily toggle javascript off/on with K-Meleon by pressing F7 & Opera can be set up to toggle the JS on/off fairly easily for added protection.

Plus, I'm just careful! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.