Has anyone tweaked the prefetch cache ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Does anyone have thoughts on how much sense it makes to delete the prefetch data or tweak the registry to only load startup programs instead of all applications? Guess I can do this and see what happens to FDISR but maybe someone has beat me to it?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I tried this, because it was mentioned at Wilders. I didn't see any difference.
    I have a double core CPU, designed for multi-tasking, 2048mb RAM and two WD Raptor harddisks (10000rpm).
    So tweaking winXPproSP2 won't make any significant difference on my computer, except the tweakings that increase the security of my computer.

I'm more interested in removing components of winXPproSP2, because that makes a significant difference in volume.
    Tweaking doesn't reduce volume, you only change the settings of certain components to improve performance or security.

Removing components makes your Windows smaller, including your snapshots and reduces your backup/restore time of your system partition.
    My system partition doesn't contain any personal data, so I can do whatever I want on my system partition.
    Of course, you have to do this at your OWN risk and you have to prepare this very carefully.
    It's more risky, than tweaking Windows, because the components are gone and getting them back might result in a total re-installation of Windows from scratch.
    So I don't recommend this to anybody. I would do this for myself.

If you are interested, the freeware "nLite" is a good userfriendly tool for creating a customized "Windows Installation CD" and the big advantage of this is, that you have to tweak and remove only ONE time, because everything is stored on your new "Windows Installation CD".
    You also have the free choice to tweak or remove, what you want. If you don't trust it, skip the setting.
    You can even include the many security/other patches of Windows, which reduces the Windows Update after installing Windows and those are also stored on your new CD forever.
    You can also move the ENTIRE folder "Documents and Settings" to another partition, that is a real challenge. LOL.
    nLite offers NUMEROUS settings, so many that you better prepare this on paper and do some research for certain components, if you want to remove or tweak them.
    I didn't do it myself yet, because I'm still preparing it on paper.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

nLite lets you remove parts of Windows before installation.
    LitePC lets you remove parts of Windows after installation. It also lets you install missing parts, in case you change your mind.

Just another way to accomplish pretty much the same. :D

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I doubt if it is legal.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I guess you are talking about nLite and not prefetch.
    If nLite is illegal, then AnyDVD and DVD Shrink are also illegal and probably many others.
    As long you copy for yourself only and you don't sell your copies world-wide to make money, it's OK to use these softwares.
    I consider this as a backup of my original "WinXPproSP2 Installation CD", which is paid.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As mentioned above We had this very recent closed thread concerning prefetch and as noted in this post by an Admin\Site Owner....We have "a 2 week moratorium on any new Prefetch related postings here at Wilders Security".

In that closed thead there are plenty of facts and opinions posted regarding Prefetch to keep most busy for quite awhile.

For the above reason this thread is now closed.

Regards,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.