Has anyone tried this browser?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Uitlander, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

While researching browsers that work on XP Pro I stumbled across this:

http://safertech-secure-browser.rusc.ru/

It looks promising, but not been able to find out much about it, good or bad, so has anyone here tried it? Comments?

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I'm not able to find or this Web Site has not an about us ?

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

A bit of info here. The page jumps about a bit for me.

https://www.safer.com/#products

4. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

5. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

From their license agreement, privacy section.

Our Applications.
    Our Applications collect certain data about your devices (including your hardware profiles, cookie text files, browser extensions, device IDs and IP Addresses), your browser and browser searches and search results, websites and web pages you visit and their content, and your clicks and interactions with websites, web pages, advertisements and our Applications. We may also collect precise geo-location data.This information is used by us and our partners in a variety of ways, including to operate the Application, optimize the services provided to you and other users of our services, and for our internal research and product development. While our Applications are not intended to collect personally identifying information, it is possible for data, such as search queries or page addresses, to contain such information.

They may also need to know how many times you used the bathroom.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  6. Reality

Reality Registered Member

@RockLobster, I know we have to leave some parts unbolded for effect, but in this case what is there NOT to bold o_O
    ...especially that last sentence. I mean, talk about speaking with a forked tongue.

This type of agreement seems to be par for the course these days.

7. RockLobster

I know lol! I almost couldn't find a place to stop the bold :argh:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Much irony in the name ;)

9. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I've found that with names for legislation too - the amount of authoritarian control is inversely related to it's freedom-loving title - think Patriot Act, FISA (manifestly allows interception of citizen's data), Regulation of Investigatory Powers (anything goes), Investigatory Powers Act (everything you've been doing illegally for over a decade is now OK, honest - except this is going to be found illegal too). So it goes.

10. RockLobster

It is at every level. Lies and deceit are their business model and their foundation for governmental policy. When they lie they speak their native language...

11. Uitlander

I just tried the link I provided above, using Chromodo and IceDragon (my two most finicky browsers) and link worked both times, so no idea why its not viable for you...but sorry its not working.

12. Uitlander

You're my Hero For The Day! Thanks for the heads up RockLobster. That agreement sounds like something a TLA (or Google) would of written.

13. Uitlander

Unfortunately a pretty name like Trusted Computing, SOPA, etc., is all that is needed to fool the masses these days. Seems like it takes less and less propaganda, disinformation, misinformation, and spin-doctoring to get the job done. Anyway, I am thankful I avoided this trainwreck.

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

They all collect data on your activities. The old wag is true - if you want complete anonymity, don't
    surf the Internet.

No one has a real expectation of privacy, any more than when we live with our spouse and children.

The only freedom in this life from the prying eyes of others is death.

15. Uitlander

Expecting complete anonymity is like expecting total perfection. That said, one can expect enough anonymity and enough perfection, without ending up sulking under the Bodhi Tree...if you are willing to work for it. Leave perfection to the perfectionists.

16. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, and as well, one can manage levels of anonymity that are prudent for particular threat levels. Mirimir, for example, only uses nested VPN chains. And he doesn't do anything that would be hugely problematic if he were deanonymized. My other personas add Tor to the mix.

17. Reality

Reality Registered Member

If everyone took that stand, the busybodies would just march right on in unhindered. You're also assuming every spouse is the same.

There's a lot to be said for keeping some stuff offline.

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This is the website for the browser itself.
    https://www.securebrowser.com/

Edit: I see there is not actual download link on that website, even though the download for Secure Browser on the download site linked in the original post, is actually hosted at securebrowser.com.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.