Has anyone had problems with a CyberPower Sine Wave UPS ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by hawki, Nov 28, 2016.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Fakespot @ A 90%. Amazon 4.6/5. I'd jump if 'twas me.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks zapjb :)

Cool website.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I have 3 of them bought in 2013,2015 and the last one bought 2 months ago.

I highly recommend it.
    Only the second one had a annoing whine/buzzing sound but after leaving it unplugged for 2-3 months (because I couldn't find the time to take to the service center) strangely when I found the time to take it to sevice and I replugged it to check the sound had dissapeared... and it has been completely silent ever since (almost a year now).:confused:

ps. for 130$ and free shipping I would buy two.:D In Europe they cost 240-250 € .:'(

Panagiotis

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

First, kudos to you for wanting to use a good UPS. I wish everyone would realize all computers should be on one. While I prefer APC, I've used CyberPower UPSs with no problems too.

Note I have an APC 1500VA UPS on this i5, 16GB, R7 370 system. Also connected is my wireless router, modem, 4-port Ethernet switch, and two 24" monitors. According to PowerChute (the excellent monitoring software that comes with APC UPS), the UPS will provide 45 minutes of run time. If I turn off one monitor, 55 minutes. Turning to the LCD readout, 69 minutes with both monitors off. And if I shutdown my system completely, it will keep my network alive for over 3 hours. Living in Tornado Alley, it's nice to have connectively during a power outage for my notebook and other wireless devices.

But make no mistake! Power during a full power outage is only the icing on the cake! An extra bonus over the most important feature, the AVR (automatic voltage regulation). This is where convincing some they need an UPS becomes a frustrating nightmare. Just because you live in a region with a stable power grid and great weather, that does not mean you don't need the AVR provided by a good UPS. Because destructive surges and spikes can originate from inside the house too - not just from the grid. And a surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord that simply kills power to connected devices (never good) for excessive surges and spikes, and they do absolutely nothing for low voltage events like dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) and brownouts (long duration sags).

The only thing you might want to look at before buying is the owner's guide to see how to replace the batteries - typically a every 3 - 4 year requirement. If easily replaced by the user, go for it. And NEVER EVER buy replacement batteries from the UPS maker. They are way over priced. Just shop around the replacement battery suppliers for sales. Be sure to factor in shipping. Some charge more for the batteries with free shipping. Others charge less for the batteries but charge shipping. And then the next day it will be the other way around.

Battery dimensions are pretty much industry standard. You can buy batteries with higher aH (amp hour) ratings (I do for longer run times), but you must ensure the voltage is the same (typically 6 or 12V). And make sure you get the right terminal type, typically F1 or F2.

Note I also have a good UPS on my big screen and home theater gear, and another on my garage door opener too (since my garage door has no handles on the outside).

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks zapjb, pandlouk, and Bill_Bright for your input.

Pulled the trigger = my first Black Monday purchase ever.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also have two of them and am very pleased with them.

Pete

8. hawki

hawki Registered Member

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You are welcome.

This unit needs 2 batteries 12V 8.5AH according to the specs.
    The CSB HR1234W and HRL1234W or other companies 12V 9AH batteries should work fine.
    Just pay attention to be good quality batteries that won't leak when they die.

Panagiotis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.