Has anyone got SP2 yet?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dog, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

Of course you all know I'm glutten for punishment ... ;) ... I wish M$ would hurry up this release.

I know right now, you can only get SP2 with auto-update, and against my better judgement I've turn it back on (a week ago now) ... and I still don't have it :mad: ... I know it's about 250mb ... but can we hurry this along? I know it's available here and there on the web ... but I want it straight from mother goose!

Has anyone got SP2 yet- with auto-update?

dog - *puppy*

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

on auto update it should only be 90mb to 120mb

3. dog

dog Guest

Have you got it yet? - bigC

4. bigc73542

I have xp pro and it is not available for it till the end of the month. Only available for networks 250mb or for xp home auto updates.

5. dog

dog Guest

OK, thanks ... I'm gonna get a freebie upgrade to pro from a friends business with a few extra licences ... ~sweet freebies~ ;) ... I am holding my breath though ;) :) ....can't count the chickens ..................

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

7. bigc73542

Thanks but I believe I will wait for the smaller update or better yet the sp2cd.

8. Brent

Brent Registered Member

I got it.

Slipstreamed it.

Love it!

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I downloaded the network install one and installed it yesterday. I was worried about installing but it was a lot quicker than I thought and so far everything is running OK for me. I will install it on my laptop over the weekend as it really does only install the things you need. I would have had to wait until 25th to get it for XP Pro so in the end I decided just to do the big download.

Must admit all the security centre things are certainly all the alerts we would take care of ourselves anyway as I always check for updates myself. At least when you look at Belarc now there isn't a long list of patches! I will maintain my own updates and visits to the update site but advantageous to those who still are not aware of their security :rolleyes:

10. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

so that above link? for it proffesionals and networks? is ok to use on home xp?? is that what ur saying?..do i just d/l it to c drive and install it?I have sp1 only..but im using home xp !! i did enable it in auto updates so im not sure if anything is running in background already installing..... cheers maddawgz!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Installed it on my XP Pro PCs and on XP Home PCs for others. I think it's best to install it in Safe Mode. You can install it from your HD or from a CD.

Nick

12. thanks

thanks Guest

NEver done start up safe mode b4..do u do it from bios?..is that necessary? if things go wrong i can always restore right?..not that it prob will..cheers maddawgz

13. honorable1nut

honorable1nut Registered Member

I have SP2 installed on all 4 of my XP boxes, 3 Pro's and 1 Home Edition. A significant performance gain is very noticeable on all 4. Also, as some others have suggested, the gain is from DX9c, but that can't be as I have a real old box that only supports up to DX8. No problems at all on any of the puters. I have disabled the security center, firewall, popup blocker, and auto updates also. 266MB's is rather large just for a performance gain, but I'll take it!! :D

14. nick s

nick s Registered Member

To get into Safe Mode, start tapping the F8 key before you see the XP boot screen. SP2 sets a restore point as part of the install. You can also uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.

Nick

15. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I have automatic updates on for weeks already, and i still haven't received SP2! :mad:
    Are the guys at microsoft sleeping on the job?

16. bigc73542

I went ahead and installed the network version of sp2 about an hour age and so far everything works except my nero. But I have record now max that works as well as nero and it works with sp2. It recognized me mcafee av ver. 7.03.6000 and my command av 4.92.0 but not my kerio 2.1.5 which I expected. all the rest of my programs work just fine. ;)

17. bigc73542

I hate to eat my own words but after saying everything worked. I wanted to burn a backup disc but my CD/RW was not found by the computer and no matter what I did it would not work. I finally restored to a time before sp2 and then the CD/RW worked so I put my sp2 cd in the drive and this time I disabled regprot and processguard, it installed and everything does work like it is supposed to this time. ;)

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

System restore has helped me many times. It catches a lot of flack but it serves a purpose.

19. bigc73542

My last computer had the restore on a fat 32 partition and it did not work well at all. But this one is on an ntfs partition and it works extremely well. ;)

20. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Ran into a problem with PG and SP2 as well. After the install, but before re-enabling PG, I defragged with O&O Defrag. After rebooting with PG active, I got repeated "mmc.exe" errors when opening Services, Event Viewer, etc. I ran System File Checker with the fix option and everything was back to normal. Next I restored a prior image, repeated the steps, but this time started up O&O Defrag with PG active, and had to give the allow permission to a modified mmc.exe. Services, Event Viewer, etc. ran with no errors after that and since. It turns out O&O uses mmc.exe. Not sure about the how and why, but I probably should have put PG in Learning Mode instead of disabling it.

Nick

21. bigc73542

I didn't have those problems but I did need to defrag and then I cleaned up about 1.5 gigs of dead files. I am sure some were from useing restore and the others had to come from sp2 install? Who knows, all is working very well this time. Reinstalling sp2 a second time was worth it. considerind all of the security changes it makes to xp. I just wish the windows firewall was sufficent for my needs but I guess you can't have everything ;)

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have to give Microsoft a passing grade on this service pack. I had not one problem other than fragmentation and Perfect Disk took care of that.

The service pack should help many people protect their computer when otherwise, they wouldn't. :cool:

23. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

:doubt: I've been reading countless posts regarding SP2, and I"m still confused.

First of all, I have WindowsXP Professional on a stand-alone home computer. I am wondering if it is available for this O/S yet, and if it is, why I have not received any notifications? ("Windows Update" is turned on and configured to notify me when updates are available-none for awhile now).

Second, I have seen links to download SP2, but it seems that it is for IT professionals. Should I download this, or should I wait?

Lastly, I have seen many people having problems with SP2 not being compatible with many of their programs. If SP2 causes so many problems, is it even worth the time and space?

Thanx for your time and patience :)

'Ignorance is bliss' - ya right! ;)

24. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I was very worried about installing SP2 but knew in the end I was going to have to get it doen. I downloaded the IT version and installed it on my main PC (XP Pro) first and then installed it on my laptop (XP Pro) the main PC did not take long at all. One thing I did make sure to do was close down all the icons on my taskbar (just to be safe)

I agree about XP's firewall, I would love it to have managed Outbond traffic as I am using a router and would have just used XP's own Firewall if only it had the extra contol :( You need to make sure and turn ICF off in services as well as in the security console.

I also run O&O and so far it has not given me any issues. I did encounter a blue screen but think this was to do with Outpost (hopefully resolved now) I also had to add Outpost.exe to the DEP permissions as it has to be excluded from the protection list.

I was relieved to get back online and find I had no problems sending and receiving e-mails. I have Nero but haven't actually used it as yet (just opened it so will need to try and burn a disc now I have read this)

I turned off the auto update feature. I was going to allow it to tell me but not download but I really have never used auto updates for XP as I recive e-mails from Microsoft and I check the site for patches so I don't think I really need this on.

It is still early days but so far apart from a blue screen I have my computer running. I cleaned the registry and defragmented after I was sure everything was installed and was releived to see SP2 noted on my System Properties.

I used the network install even though I only share my router connection and not files and printer with my laptop. It only selects the bits you need and at least I will not be waiting like so many HE users are and wondering why SP2 has not downloaded yet. I just had to get it behind me!

25. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

The actual SP2 for Home and Pro XP is not due till the end of the month for users. The version available right now is for Network and workstation deployment. You can still install it but there will be missing components for various subsection.

All this information is available on the m$ website

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.