Has anyone acturally tried "Reimage" software?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jun 3, 2018.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A program called Reimage sounds like a dream come true. It's a program that claims to fix all types of computer problems, including some that stem from damage by Windows updates. Their website is HERE.

Has anyone used it?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

AdGuard has blocked access to this page

This web page at www.reimageplus.com has been reported as a malware page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

AdGuard has found that malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it is possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. We recommend you to not proceed or try again later.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've used it a few times, over the last ten years. The concept behind Reimage, is excellent, in my opinion. In practice, it often will not live up to its claims and may not be able to fix your problems. At least, you can get a refund, if it you're unhappy. I can't recall any instance, where it actually fixed any issues I had.

It seems that the original company that developed it, moved on years ago. In its early years, the company would post regular updates on their website. They were going to make a version of Reimage, that would run from a bootable CD, with the idea being, that you could use it to fix system which wouldn't boot. This would have been awesome, since Microsoft, sadly removed the option to do a repair install from a Windows CD/DVD/USB in Vista. Sometimes, if your computer wouldn't boot, booting from Windows installation media and running a repair install, would fix it. In Vista and later, you can only do a repair install (now known as an In-Place Upgrade) from within Windows, which is useless, if your computer won't actually boot.

4. roger_m

Reimage is not malicious, but some scanners, detect is as a PUP.

5. bellgamin

Before I posted here, I downloaded & ran this app through Virus Total, as I do with all downloads from sites I'm unfamiliar with. None of the numerous AVs that comprise Virus Total reported it as malware. None. 3 reported it as a PUP & 1 reported it as AdWare. None reported it as malware. There IS a difference. PUPs & AdWare are often ap-cray & uninstalling them can be like getting free of the tar baby, but they are irritants, not disasters. Malware OTOH can be a disaster. It can screw up one's computer & generate a plethora of 4-letter words.

AdGuard is an AD guard...not an AV guard and (more importantly when visiting websites) AdGuard is not an Exploit guard --- MBAE is a much much better choice for that vital job. AdWare's CNN-type catch phrase "...has been reported as a malware page..." is safe for anyone to use when spreading FUD, whether on the internet or on TV. The earth has been reported as flat... but by who? And by who NOT?

What Reimage's free download app does is to do a thorough scan of one's computer & provide detailed lists of what it deems to be problems. Then it wants you to buy the app that will fix these issues.. at a ridiculously high price, in my opinion, of $41.95. In that sense, it is adware as to the free diagnostic app, & it is over-pricedware as to the cleaner/fixer app. Even so, the diagnosis it did of my Win7 computer seems honest, unlike some of the ap-cray being hawked on TV -- it actually ended up by reporting that my computer is in better than average condition -- in a great deal of detail... cpu temp, hd temp, registry snags (which I do NOT want any app to mess with), etc. It still wanted me to buy the fixer app, but IMO it did not lie in order to trick me into buying.

So, despite AdGuard's FUD-sicle, I repeat my question --- has anyone tried the whole Reimage app?

6. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

The Virus Total comments sound bad that i read.

7. roger_m

While I haven't read the comments at VT, I certainly can understand that. I believe that Reimage, is sometimes bundled as an unwanted extra with other software. Also, it is very aggressively advertised. This is good reason, for it to be classified as a PUP. But, it is certainly not malicious and can potentially fix issues with a computer. For example it is able to scan for corrupt files and is able to fix some of them, by downloading good copies from Reimage's servers.

8. bellgamin

Hmmm... as I said above, all VT reported was PUPs & Adware. 4 out of a long list of AVs, all check-marked green as okay.

Maybe you could give us a screenshot of what VT is showing you. If you decide to do this, try & show all of VT's report page, not just the 2 cut little red & green menehunes at the top. :geek:

I must add that the Reimage free diagnostic app is a bit difficult to uninstall -- typical with PUP stuff. Fortunately I always make a Restore before installing anything labelled a PUP by Virus Total. It's sad -- Reimage has a great concept but their marketing approach smells of snake oil.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't see the point of Reimage, if you have backup images. And iif you don't.....

11. bellgamin

I am sure beyond certainty that you know Reimage, despite its name, does NOT re-image. Why they gave it such a misleading name, goodness knows. I mention a 2nd time -- I found Reimage to be a female canine to uninstall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.