Hardware modification to make a read-only USB stick?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Gullible Jones, May 20, 2014.

1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

So I want to transfer some tools to a compromised machine, and CDs or DVDs are not an option. Or maybe I want to have a live Windows environment (e.g. BartPE) for running legacy applications, that cannot be persistently compromised. Etc.

Some USB sticks come with hardware write protect switches. The vast majority don't. However, I have a bunch of electronics tools floating around. :) So, before I start diving into hardware documentation: does anyone know if there's a way to turn a USB stick into a read-only medium? Reversible methods would obviously be preferable, but permanent would suffice.

2. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Just set the attributes to make the drive read-only. This and this might be helpful.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. Gullible Jones

That not inadequate. If it's made RO through software, it can be made RW again by any malicious program running as admin... This is why having physical security is important.

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. Gullible Jones

Thank you MrBrian! :D

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :).

I knew your initial post was from awhile ago, but I thought some might find it useful anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.