Hardware Firewall vs Outbound Protection

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rOadToIS, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

Hi guys,
    I recently bought a new PC along with a hardware firewall.
    So as I was asking some questions regarding how to set up hardware firewall on the other forum, some people had claimed that software firewall with outbound protection is enough.

Well, here's my opinion.
    If you have solid hardware firewall and are careful with what goes into your system such as malware in the first place by installing good antivirus, good antimalware, or virtualization software, then there's nothing that will get OUT of your system that has malicious intent. I also think that although software firewall can be useful, it's just a memory hog.
    What do you guys say?

2. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

If nothing bad is going in, then there's no bad going out. I use a router but I also use the vista firewall control to restrict any outbound communication. And yes, a good choice of security programs will help.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Well your new PC if it has vista on it already has a 2 way SW FW on it.

It is in my view a question of the users security policy and perspective.

In my case, I'm interested in managing which applications get access to the www and hardening the default rules in the FW. Thats' not easy with HW FW.

If other users wish to assume that any SW on their PC's that asks for access should be allowed to have it that is their policy not mine.

FWIW, I have a HW FW and a SW FW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.