Hardware based snapshot/rollback

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by erikloman, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikloman

erikloman Developer

For the purpose of malware analysis I am looking for hardware based snapshot/rollback solution.

Basically what needs to be done is all sector WRITE actions are diverted to a secondary disk (preferably RAM disk) and of course the changed sectors are to be read from that secondary disk. Upon reboot you can simply wipe the secondary disk, basically reverting to the initial unchanged state.

Or another solution would be is to record which sectors have been overwritten and these are to be restored on reset/reboot (no need to restore every sector, just the ones that have been altered).

I don't want to rely on software solutions as most are not resilient against latest MBR rootkit infections. Also virtual environments are undesirable as some malware won't run in virtual environments.

Does any one know of a hardware based snapshot/rollback product that performs a function similar to what I have described above?

2. erikloman

erikloman Developer

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. dlimanov

dlimanov Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.