Hardened secure Ubuntu.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

https://www.privacy-cd.org/

"The base idea is to relocate working with private data into a secure working environment, strictly apart from everything else you do with your computer (surf the web, chat, games, ...)."

2. tlu

tlu Guest

If a live CD makes sense if you're already using Linux has been discussed here several times. I don't think it's needed.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Or you could buy two comps. Like in real life, the separation of tasks. There's the wife and there's the mistress. You don't try to put them together under the same roof and think of a proper strategy to manage. You separate. Simple.
    Mrk

4. linuxforall

As live CDs go, this one offers the best options for those who are paranoid about security, as I can see many at this forum still carry over Windows mentality into Linux and for them, this fits the bill, I don't even have apparmor enabled on my distro personally, I only enable it on the server at the institute.

5. tlu

tlu Guest

The words of a great philosopher :D:D:D

(Your wife doesn't read Wilderssecurity, does she? :D )

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I hope not ... otherwise, I might stop posting one day, cause of rigor mortis.
    Mrk

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi linuxforall,

Thanks for posting - UPR looks quite interesting. I wonder how it compares to the latest Incognito aka TAILS The (Amnesic) Incognito Live System which uses Debian.

It looks like the download for version 10.04 is 761MB (too large for a Live CD). Since I have a DVD-RAM device capable of booting a regular Live CD, I'm not sure my BIOS can support booting a Live DVD .iso burned onto a DVD-RAM disc - but, it might be worth a try, otherwise, I might just have to add a bootable Live DVDRW device and upgrade my BIOS (which I have been putting off for some time now) or fireup an alternative Motherboard I have that might just do the job.

Their directions for cobbling up a Live CD I have done before from other tutorial documents on the Internet - so, I suppose I could try to cobble up a Live CD from 10.04.1 to see if it can fit in less than 732MB which is about the limit that can fit on a Live CD (I think). Another option appears to be a USB - think I'll try that first.

Since privacy and security are two different things, the website address for this release on a new secure Ubuntu derivative is slightly misleading with privacy in it. I would like to see more information on exactly how it works. Can it be configured to work with Tor for anonymity? If so, they should publish how to do that, and it would have at least some measure of privacy as security is not enough to secure one's privacy.

-- Tom

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  8. linuxforall

lotuseclat,

I burned this to an ordinary blank DVD via my LG burner and booted off it, worked fine, I also created a live usb thumb drive via Ubuntu startup disk creator and that worked as well, I currently use it when I am in net cafe's and other places.

9. katio

katio Guest

Have you looked at their documentations?

In this case privacy and security really means effectively the same. UPR is meant for dealing with highly sensitive data and minimises potential leaks. Their kernel is complied without any networking support. You might reconsider your request :p

10. lotuseclat79

Hi katio,

I have not made a request for additional capability - just asked some questions.

linuxforall: How do you use it at the net cafe without networking? As a standalone with no networking, or is there someway the net cafe supplies networking support which can't be that secure - can it?

-- Tom

11. katio

katio Guest

"They should publish how to do that" - that's what I'm referring to. Asking if it works with Tor when there's not even the basic network support was a bit of a silly question, which I pointed out.

You see, the problem was you accuse somebody of being "misleading" and don't even bother to read the docs.

12. lotuseclat79

Hi katio,

Let's get one thing straight: I asked the question on the basis of my Live CD practice. A simple answer of "Tor is not possible since there is no networking support" would have sufficed, regardless of what you think you pointed out vs what my understanding of security vs privacy may be.

In no way shape or form did I accuse anyone of "misleading" without bothering to read the documents. I simply stated a matter of fact that the inherent name of the website which includes privacy is misleading as the release is fundamentally built for security, and not privacy which carries a different meaning that usually includes the network.

If you need a definition of security vs privacy - it has been stated many times on this website by SteveTX - search for it and you will then know as they are not the same.

Suffice it to say we have a difference of opinion and point-of-view.

Regards,

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.